What's Been Messing With My Network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Every time I access my Network Settings, I am repeatedly advised/warned that the settings have been changed by another Application (see att.). No matter how many times I click OK, the warning returns. I have to get in mighty quick and Quit between warnings.

I have repaired permissions and run maintenance scripts using Onyx.

I have little or no idea what that might be causing this - it is a very recent occurrence, and may have happened with the latest Apple update. I cannot remember if other downloads have required my password, possibly Wiretap (which I've now removed).

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 running Tiger
I have been experiencing the same problem - Everytime I restart and open my Network Settings I get the "Network Setting have been changed by another application"

This began after the latest "Security update, iTunes and Quicktime" update.

Another curious happening, which began at about the same time, is after I have completely shutdown my computer the cooling fan begins to start up again in fits and starts, though not at the full speed.

Have I got a virus or spyware on my mac?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
At the risk of stealing Simon's thunder, the most recent Tiger update appears to have fixed the Network settings issue. Here's hoping.

Update: I've disabled the SysPref > Security > "Require Password for All ...." setting, and still no recurring warning, so it looks good at this stage. Can I cope with the tension?

Later: No - it's back again :(. Things were okay for an hour or two, no recurrent warning, then I thought I'd check. Aaaaaaagh! How does one get through to the corporate Apple ostrich with its head stuck firmly up ... oops, I mean in the sand (to be euphemistic).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 running Tiger
Ran virus and spyware scans this weekend and they found nothing (I guess that is a good thing).

Also I opened up the computer and blew out some surprisingly large dust bunnies that had taked up residence. This seemed to help with the issue of the fan mysteriously coming on even when the machine was fully shut down.

But Network in System Preferences is still reporting that "Network Setting have been changed by another application"

Otherwise performance seems unaffected so maybe I'll just have to live with it.

Simon

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And complain like mad to Apple (how does one do that?) about it before they pull support for Tiger, which, I guess, will happen at some stage.

I once posed a question on another forum asking, naively, "does Apple read the forums?" Howls of laughter. Well, if not, it should appoint at least one person per forum to spend all day, every working day, reading the gripes about things that Apple gets wrong.

But then, dreams are free - and they don't carry a health warning!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.