shutdown or sleep?

K

kzef

hey guyz

another question, do you think it is better to shutdown the computer before you go to bed, or just put it to sleep? if you do put it to sleep or shut it down should you leave it the power adapter plugged in??

these questions probably sound dum, but c'mon help out a new mac switcher ;)

kzef

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I just shut the lid to sleep it and leave it plugged in so I've got enough juice the next day...

It's designed to never be shut down, so just leave it running as long as you like (i.e. just sleep it).

The only thing that can be annoying is the white pulsating light on the front - it's really bright when you're trying to get to sleep, so I always put something over it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
kzef said:
…these questions probably sound dum, but c'mon help out a new mac switcher ;)

Dumb questions come from ones trying to ask a dumb question. If a person is sincere about the question, then it isn't dumb.

Sleep or Shut Down…
I would also take into consider how often you use your iBook, if you use it every day then put it to sleep.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

i carry my ibook every where i go. and i put it to sleep. but while its at the house. it stays open becasue I have my music playing.

OP
D

Danster

i shut it down if it's been on for awhile to prolong it's life.

Yes the bright light on the front on my iMac is very bright and is really annoying
when i'm trying to get to sleep.

OP
K

kzef

cheers guyz, one other question, is it ok to carry my ibook around when it is asleep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
It would seem to me…
if you carried it while sleeping and something caused the lid to accidentally open, then you would be in trouble. The hard drive would spin up, which wouldn't be a good thing. If you have a case that secures the lid, then you should be ok. I wouldn't try it on my iBook. I consider that extra minute to start up is the "pound of prevention".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I do it all the time and have never had any problems...

The only difference between sleep and shutdown is that sleep retains the current system state in the RAM which requires some energy and enables the iBook to instantly load up.

As long as your lid latch is secure (i.e. not broken) and you have a safe means to carry it, I wouldn't worry about carrying & sleeping..

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

the lid has to open like 2 inches to wake up. and i onw in my bag there isnt 2 inches for it to move.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.