Help with restoring shop display model Macbook Pro please

Reaction score
I recently bought the last remaining Macbook Pro from John Lewis. The Macbook was the display model and had programmes installed that were purely for showing what the laptop could do. The shop said they would restore the computer so it was ready for normal use
On returning home I have encountered a number of problems.
1. the default video still runs every time the macbook is turned on.
2. when i delete the programmes that arnt needed, they just come back next time i switch the laptop on. reverting completely back to the shop setting and forgetting any programmes i have installed.

i have tried to just reinstall the OS using the disks provided, but as soon as i start up from the disk it says it cannot be installed and gives me no alternative options. have i been given the wrong disks? disc 1 says 2008 apple inc. on it whilst disk 2 says 2006 apple inc. shouldnt they be the same year?

i have recieved helpful and generous advice from users on this forum before and would really appreciate some more help.
all i want is for my laptop to be a clean slate for me to start with, and for it to not revert to the default setting every time i turn it off and on.

feel free to ask anymore questions
thank you
sam:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If it is from John Lewis then either take it back to them, or if you are near an apple store, then go there since the computer is still under warranty

I don't know about the disks, but can you manage to boot up from the DVD, by holding down the C key on start-up (with the DVD in the drive). OS X will not install on a running disk but will install on to a hard drive if you have booted from the DVD instead

OP
P
Reaction score
cheers louishen,

i kinda thought that taking it back would be the sensible option. just wanted a good go at sorting it myself before running for help. just very frustrating that they said they would sort it out but havent.
will try running it off the DVD though and see how that goes!
any more help would be appreciated.

sam

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
louishen has got it. if the install doesn't work the way he describes, then take it back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.