why are my music downloads so slow??

K

kzef

hey guys,

just got my new ibook 14" and set myself up on a regular dial-up plan (just for now) and everything seemed sweet until i started downloading music. The first song I downloaded took nearly an hour!!!! what is up with this? I use to be able to download songs on my old ****ty pc in 20 min max! is this something to do with my isp, or is there some settings I should be changing to fix this? oh and does anyone know how to check what speed your connected at?

Reaction score
Are you using the same programs to download music on your PC and iBook?

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

when i am on dial up at my dads it take about 15 min to d.l. on the iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I'm not sure how it is in the states, but over here dial up can either be a bog standard analogue telephone line (i.e. 56k modem) or a bit nippier ISDN line (64k or 128k with both lines connected).

Download speed will also depend on factors such as the ISP (but they should all be fairly quick), length of phone cable being used (my mum has a huuuuge extension cable and you can really tell the difference), time of day and server being downloaded from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
1. Try selecting a different modem to see if that modem's init string will make a difference. Network-->Show: Internal Modem-->Modem-->Modem

2. Toggle the "error correction and compression" option the opposite from the current setting. Network-->Show: Internal Modem-->Modem-->Modem

3. Try a different phone extension.

4. Try a different phone jack.

5. If you are up to it, search the net for iBook init strings and build your own.

OP
D

Danster

it also depends on how many seeders there is. Try and download a song with at least 20 look next to the quality at * and under look to see how many there is on the song if it had 0-10 it will take ages i have broadband and usually get my song with 35-150 seeders in under 3mins

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I dont really use limewire much, but the few times I have used it, it never takes more than a minute per song no matter the quality. maybe try an app like acquisition or even a torrent app.

Reaction score
I found that when i used kazza, it went a few 100Kb's... Now that i use limewire (i like it beter) i find it's only going 50Kb's. Thats on cable though. Maybe it's the network that limewire uses thats slower?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Limewire tends to be slow as there's a much, much smaller selection of users than KaZaA. If you want to be on the FastTrack (KaZaA) network, I'd say get Poisoned. Honestly, though, iTunes is the fastest route. I'd just get that, unless you are INTENT upon stealing songs instead of buying them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
in limewiree, make sure you download from peoples whos speed says t1, t3 or higher, or at least cable.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

if you notice when you log into limewire it ask you to buy the software for faster downlods they might be holding your connection speed back so that you buy the advanced music stealer software

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.