Power Mac G4 quicksilver optical drive removal

Reaction score
Hello.
I'm an IT Newb,I have been trying to remove the optical drive from my G4, the problem i have is that the IDE cable comes out fine but the power cable is stuck tight and difficult to get at due to the power supply right behind. So i was wondering what best to do? i haven't tried removing the mounting plate for the optical drive yet? i know theres 2 screws but does it just slide out?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go to www.ifixit.com and look up your Powermac G4 model. Then look up swapping out or changing the optical drive. They have step by step instructions including photos which guide you thru the process.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have done it. Just wiggle it carefully, it will pop out eventually, or use a screwdriver to begin to edge it out but be careful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Hello.
I'm an IT Newb,I have been trying to remove the optical drive from my G4, the problem i have is that the IDE cable comes out fine but the power cable is stuck tight and difficult to get at due to the power supply right behind.i know theres 2 screws but does it just slide out?

See this: http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=j7RDGy34tjU and related links to the right. Hope it helps.

Reaction score
a long magnetic screwdriver is handy for a couple of those screws, just keep it from the key areas !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.