Keyboard shortcut: Cut

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
How come the "Cut" option is disabled? I want something similar to CTRL+V in XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Well, Ctrl+V is paste for a start.

And it's not disabled... have you tried Cmd+X, Cmd+C etc? A lot of shortcuts are the same, just use Command instead of Control.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Ctrl+V is paste for a start.

And it's not disabled... have you tried Cmd+X, Cmd+C etc? A lot of shortcuts are the same, just use Command instead of Control.

I meant CTRL+X in Windows.

I tried CMD+X in Leopard, but, like I said, it's disabled when I went to Edit > Cut

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
In one application or all of them? If you select the text of my post and hit Cmd+C the hit Cmd+V elsewhere does it not copy it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I tried CMD+X in Leopard, but, like I said, it's disabled when I went to Edit > Cut

Ska's question is important - in what application are you trying to cut?

I know when tutoring software use, the single-most misunderstanding is that in order to be able to cut-paste or copy-paste, first something must be selected.

You cannot simply cut text from this answer for example, because editing of the text is blocked. Nor can you 'cut' from an email message someone sends you, the editing function is invalid. You can however select-copy-paste.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In one application or all of them? If you select the text of my post and hit Cmd+C the hit Cmd+V elsewhere does it not copy it?

It's on the desktop. I'm getting rid of the clutter on my desktop and moving it around to different folders. I wanted the Cut option to avoid having two copies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Are you trying to use 'Cut' to remove (delete) an item from your desktop? If so, it won't work. Once you've moved an item to a folder, it should be away from the desktop anyway. But if you're copying (Option-drag-drop) an item to a folder, then the original will remain on the desktop. To get rid of it, use Cmd-Delete to send it to Trash, and then empty the Trash when you've finished tidying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Cut is not an option in the Finder. To move files around, you have to either drag and drop, or copy and paste to the new location and then delete the original.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13" running Mountain Lion and Win 7 Bootcamp
This is from a post in another thread on these forums:

The first is a feature that has been missing in OS X for a while, which is the ability to cut and paste files. Microsoft introduced this in Windows quite a while ago with the Ctrl-X / Ctrl-V combination, but Apple didn't have a similar option, resulting in people resorting to various scripts and utilities to get this functionality. Apple has finally implemented this feature in OS X Lion, but has not done so by duplicating the Cut and Paste options that are seen in Windows. Instead, you first select a file or multiple files and then press Command-C to put it on the clipboard, followed by either pressing Command-V to copy the file, or Option-Command-V to move the file to the desired location.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.