Macs Are Easily Hackable?!??!? Wha...?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 gHz, 4 gigs RAM
So a buddy of mine (Windoze guy) came up to me the other day and said his friend forgot her password on her macbook and she is the only user with the only account. My friend was all excited because he and his friends were gonna try and hack the mac to get the pw. Lo and behold, he did it in two lines of code after pressing Command + S when the comp was starting up. What is this? I thought macs were supposed to be secure... doesn't sound like it... help me keep my faith in Macs!!!!:Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :[ :[ :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
single user mode. it bypasses the login... that can be prevented by password protecting the firmware. so he didn't guess the password or hack into the system. This can be a security breach in some environments which can be stopped.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Single user mode is pretty much standard in *nix operating systems. You can hardly call using single user mode 'hacking'. Nor do I consider it anything more than a physical security breach.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
There is an old saying in the Comp Security circles, "If someone has physical access to your computer, it's not your computer anymore".

Even if he couldn't do that, it is all to easy to boot into a bootable *nix environment and then do stuff from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.