How to copy email settings to second Mac

Reaction score
I have a relatively new Imac and a MacBook. My Imac is having all sorts of problems (VERY loud intermittent fan noise, sometimes clicking sound, sudden black screen among other things) so it looks like I'll have to lug the thing down to an Apple Store.

I have a small home online business and can't really be without a computer for long. So - while the Imac is still more or less working, I need to duplicate my email settings onto the MacBook (which I bought for my technophobe husband who isn't using it). The Apple email has never been set up on the MB. What is the easiest way to do copy my current settings?

My cable company was useless when I first set the iMac up and it took a very nice Apple guy via phone to get it working.

Help would be appreciated. Oh, I use five different emails for various reasons, so that makes it that much more complicated. Thanks for any help! (Shoot, the fan is cranking up again as I'm writing this, argh)! Now it's dying down. For a change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Do you mean the account settings only or folders and mails as well?

If it is only the settings, it will only take you the best part of 15 minutes to set them up manually on the MacBook by simply typing them in from the screen on the iMac....

Or sign up from a trial of MobileME and transfer the settings using that, but it will probably take you about the same amount of time.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant the account settings AND the folders and emails. However, in regards to the settings, the Apple guy on the phone had me name my outgoing server by a name and the outgoing server settings (after we tried everything it seemed) ended up having to be the same for my emails in order to work.

I don't know if I just type in that name instead of the actual smtp settings on the MB would work. I guess I'll just have to try. Wow, this explanation makes no sense whatsoever except to me, I imagine. :| In other words, smtp, etc just has a name and not a typical smtp setting. Yikes, I can see I'm digging a hole here. Maybe I best call Apple since I have the Apple Care warranty on both machines.

So I can email settings open on the iMac and copy the settings to the MB at the same time? I was concerned that Apple Mail would be need to be closed on the iMac. Since you say I can copy the settings while the iMac is running would make it a heck of a lot easier. Of course, the passwords for each email are encrypted, but I do have them written down (they're all different).

Time Warner was no help at ALL and the Apple guy that first took my call had to call in "the expert." Sigh. Maybe MobileME would be a good idea as I understand that can be used for backups as well.

Well, whatever I do, I have to do it quickly as it seems the iMac gets worse by the day.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Just open Mail on the iMac and open the settings for each account and type them off the screen on the MacBook, simple as that.

As for transferring folders and mails, do you have an IMAP mail account? If so just copy all folders and mails to that account on the iMac, set up the account on the MacBook and let it replicate and you will have it all on the MacBook as well (but in your IMAP account still).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.