questons about Transmission and torrents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I like Transmission's auto add feature -- it starts the download almost immediately. But it seems that in order to have it auto add, you have to aim it at a certain folder. I wish it would just automatically auto add regardless of which folder I want to save to. There may be a way to do this, but I'm stumped. Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Have you set a default download directory? Go to Preferences and click on the Transfers tab. Set a default download location and check the box next to "Start transfers when added"

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you set a default download directory? Go to Preferences and click on the Transfers tab. Set a default download location and check the box next to "Start transfers when added"

Yes, but I have multiple folders set up to handle torrent downloads (i.e., music/movies/tv/etc.) from when I was a Windows user. I wish Transmission didn't restrain you to one folder. I suppose my main question is is your way the only way to get downloads to automatically start?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Transmission is a really simple program, you would need to probably get a more featured program to handle what you're looking for.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Transmission is a really simple program, you would need to probably get a more featured program to handle what you're looking for.

Any recommendations?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do all torrent clients require you first save a .torrent file?

Coming from Windows, the .torrent file never had to be dealt with. It seems after trying out all the Mac clients I'm required to find a place to save the .torrent file and then reopen it with a client.

Do I have this process backwards or is that how it is with every Mac client? Having not to deal with the actual .torrent file would save a lot of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If you don't want to save and then open then just chose open when you first click to download the torrent.

I use Transmission. When I download the torrent I select open instead of save, and have Transmission set to delete the torrent file after it's been added.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't want to save and then open then just chose open when you first click to download the torrent.

I use Transmission. When I download the torrent I select open instead of save, and have Transmission set to delete the torrent file after it's been added.

I don't have the option to just open it. The "Save As" prompt always pops up and forces me to save the .torrent somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't have the option to just open it. The "Save As" prompt always pops up and forces me to save the .torrent somewhere.

Safari won't auto-run most file types. It's a security feature (something Windows is lacking in). Just save the darned thing to your Downloads folder and set Transmission to auto-look for new torrents there. When you run Transmission, it will find the torrent, add it to its list, and delete the file.

Alternatively, start using a download manager like Speed Download. It'll have more flexible options and works seamlessly with Safari.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I use firefox and just hit open instead of save, then it opens in the right application.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using Transmission: forwarded ports, browsing still slow

I forwarded my ports - Transmission gave it the green light - but browsing speeds have reduced.

Also, I just installed 2GB of RAM in my MB, but it's still performing like it did with 512 MB (yes, it was installed correctly). My activity monitor suggests the Opera browser is eating up the most resources.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have they reduced while there are active torrents in Transmission or is this with Transmission simply running in the background or not on at all?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While torrents are active

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

Do you have cable internet? Do you have uploads capped? If you don't have the uploads capped and you are uploading a lot, that tends to bog down the network. You may want to see if it helps to cap the uploads at like 15 kb/s

EDIT: I use transmission and don't see any slow down in my browsing experience while downloading tons of stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No matter which type of broadband connection you have I'd recommend throttling your upload to around 75% of your max upload speed to prevent choking your connection. Which is what you seem to be suffering with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well that explains it. Transmission will use the maximum amount of speed allotted to it, and if it's set to universal, then it's going to use all your bandwidth, thus slowing down everything else that relies on that connection.

If you want to be able to browse or do other Internet related activities, you're either going to have to turn off Transmission, or throttle its speed to a certain percentage.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that explains it. Transmission will use the maximum amount of speed allotted to it, and if it's set to universal, then it's going to use all your bandwidth, thus slowing down everything else that relies on that connection.

If you want to be able to browse or do other Internet related activities, you're either going to have to turn off Transmission, or throttle its speed to a certain percentage.

You're suggesting I adjust the u/l and d/l rates? Anything else I can do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's all you really can do. There's only so much bandwidth available on your connection, throttling your torrents is the only way you're going to be able to use your connection for anything else. Even if you setup QoS, that's still throttling in a sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
You're suggesting I adjust the u/l and d/l rates? Anything else I can do?

Pay your provider and upgrade your bandwidth connection. Or, as others have mentioned, throttle your Transmission down.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. What about the fan problem? With my old Dell, I would just clean out the dust but such is inaccessible on the MB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.