A

adamxj2

I want to connect my iBook to my g5 so I can have a larger display
I have a 20" cinema display and a dual 1.8 g5 what wires do I need or what
Please help I have been at this for hours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
youd actually hook the display straight to the ibook, it depends on the connection type your ibook has and what type the display uses. you may need an adapter, you may not.
I think the display you have uses a dvi display connector, and the ibooks connection is most likely vga, so you may need this.

OP
A

adamxj2

no dude
look the g5>cinema display
g5>iBook

so I book and cinema are one split screen?
Is that what you meant or no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
o, I thought you meant so the ibook screen is off and the 20" is the main display.
if you hook the ibook to the g5, the ibook wont use the display, unles you use target disk mode or firewire disk mode to mount the ibook instead of the internal g5 hd and run off the ibook. but I think there may be a way if you use an app that either splits the screens for you, or a virtual desktop app thatll allow the ibook to control part of the screen.
besides that, I dont think its possible.

OP
A

adamxj2

i only think it is possible because I was in the apple store today and they had the same setup It was so busy I couldnt even ask anyone they wouldnt know anyway
Whatever I think it is possible Do you know of athe software I would need?
I am just diving into the mac addict mentality no sleep coffee you know I am sure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they most likely were using some sort of splitter coming off the g5, or thhe 2 were networked together and they used a virtual desktop app or something. but youre right, I am tired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
You can connect the cinema display to your iBook, to mirror the display. There is a little hack on the net that allows you to use it as a real second screen, like the PowerBook can.

However, you cannot hook up your iBook to the G5 to use the display connected to the G5 (or vice versa), all you can do is connecting both together via LAN, and then use some kind of VNC software, to have a remote desktop of the iBook on the G5. But that's kinda slow, and I haven't found any VNC server software for Mac yet.

OP
A

adamxj2

iwent to apple store and they had it hooked up ~~~
I thought people knew stuff here?
I guess I was wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
adamxj2 said:
iwent to apple store and they had it hooked up ~~~
I thought people knew stuff here?
I guess I was wrong
Well for starters try being a little more courteous if you expect anybody to help you and second you can not hook up the G5 to the iBook because the iBook does not have a video input. You can hook up your iBook to the Cinema display and using a hack you can do screen spanning but you can't use the iBook as an extra screen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.