MacBook Pro Trash problems PLEASE HELP!!!

Reaction score
for some reason, when i want to trash something, i get a window that pops up that says "The item xx will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you want to continue?" why can't i just put something in my trash with out immediately deleting it??? someone please help!!! thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Did you accidentally delete your .Trash folder? If for some reason the computer can't find it or can't write to it, the Trash can becomes basically non-existent in the eyes of Finder. Open Terminal, and at the prompt enter

ls -la .Trash

Then post the output here.

OP
F
Reaction score
crap

i totally know i deleted it and i deleted something else too, but i cant remember what. i network my mac to my pc and i was cleaning up some stuff on my pc...well i thought it was in my pc window, but i was really in my mac window. how can i found out what else i deleted, but more importantly, how can i get it back???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
You could try recreating the .Trash folder and praying it works... in Terminal, just type

mkdir .Trash

and let me know how it goes... after using Disk Utility to repair your disk permissions.

In the future, think twice before deleting hidden files, though. :p

OP
F
Reaction score
i NEVER delete files that i dont know what they are especially when it comes to the mac, but for some reason i made a big booboo. i was able to find online how to replace the .trash thankfully, but i have bigger fish to fry now. my s.m.a.r.t status is at failing and i thought that maybe deleting the hidden files may have given it a false negative, but im pretty sure my hard drive is just fried. thank you so much for getting me on the right track to at least get my trash back!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
In that case back up ASAP!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.