• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

big problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Im not sure which forum this should go in as it falls under several categories, ok, heres my problem, I have a cdr that I burned over a year ago in toast 5.x, anyway, today I insert the isc into my mac, I really need some IMPORTANT files off it, all the files copied fine, except these 2 keep giving me an error that there was an error and some data in the file could not be read or written. I tried cleaning the lens, resurfacing the disc, tried using my external superdrive, and nothing works. these files are bothh .mov files and are part of a presentation, and are over 20mb each. can anyone help? is this a problem with the disc? even after resurfacing, it still wont work, I copied everythying else fine, its just these 2 files. :confused:
BTW, I know its wierd that I'm asking for help, but it happens.:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
did they work on the cd way back when?

im having a feeling that they were corrupted when you burnt them and maybe didnt knotice it :(

-chris

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes they worked. as a matter of fact, I copied them to my hd almost 6 months ago right before doing an erase and install and they all copied fine at the time.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
This is a stretch, but you could try making a copy of the CD onto a CD-RW. This might force the computer to look harder at the CD. You just need to start thinking creative, I guess.

I hate to say this, but maybe you could try popping the CD into a windows computer, if you have access to one.

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. I'll try it.
2. Don't you ever speak such words in my presence again. lmao, Im just kidding, I may try it.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I knew the windows solution would get a reaction, one way or another. LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
But if the CD has been burned in Mac-only mode (which was the default setting in Toast 5, if I remember well) no Windows PC will read it at all...

You could also try an external CD drive (I understood that you tried it in the Cube's built-in drive). I had a similar problem with a DVD. After a few months, I couldn't read part of the stored data, not even with the drive that made the DVD. I tried a different drive, and was able to read everything...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Avalon said:
…You could also try an external CD drive

I second Avalon.
I've been able to read cd/dvd media in an external drive when it wouldn't read it in the internal.

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
I tried cleaning the lens, resurfacing the disc, tried using my external superdrive, and nothing works. these files are bothh .mov files and are part of a presentation, and are over 20mb each. can anyone help? is this a problem with the disc? even after resurfacing, it still wont work, I copied everythying else fine, its just these 2 files
BTW, I know its wierd that I'm asking for help, but it happens.:mac:
I mentioned trying it on my external superdrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Oops! My bad...didn't read carefully... :blind:

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its cool, I just tried making a copy in toast onto another cdr, it worked to burn, the files copied fine to the mac, but when playing them, the video would freeze and not continue, and audio would bleep and scratch. o well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.