Connecting to Internet

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently purchased a macbook pro and I want to get it connected to the internet but I've no clue how exactly to do this, or what option to actually go for. I've heard of using the ethernet function (which is inbuilt?) to connect to internet via a LAN or DSL cable modem, but does this mean I have to initially sort myself out with a modem etc? There is a PC in the house already with a DSL modem but I didn't want to be relying on this connection.

I wanted to get a broadband connection-I'm from Ireland so there's not that much choice I think. Basically, if anyone has any suggestions or even can tell me what sort of set-up they're using themselves that would be great since I'm a bit lost on where to start looking. Thanks!

Fiona

Reaction score
I currently have my Cable Modem plugged into my Apple Airport Wireless Router, which broadcasts to all computers in the house.

I use to have DSL plugged into my Airport Wireless router, which was broadcasting to all computers.

Hope that was helpful

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...I use to have DSL plugged into my Airport Wireless router, which was broadcasting to all computers.

This is what my setup is right now. My PC also can connect to it as well so it's great. ^-^" Best 99 dollars I ever spent, for a router.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
There is a PC in the house already with a DSL modem but I didn't want to be relying on this connection.

is that modem built in or do you have an external one that then connects to the existing computer via a network cable?

if you have built-in, your best bet will be to get a stand alone modem and a wireless router (which typically can also work wired for the existing computer).

if you already have an external modem, then all you need is the router.

you do not have to get an apple one, any brand will do, both macs and pcs should be able to connect to pretty much any router. and if you do get an apple one, the PC should work on it as well.

currently, i have a linksys router attached to a cable modem. my macbook and my wife's HP laptop both connect wirelessly with WPA encryption, and my PS3 is wired via ethernet (network) cable to the router.

OP
RedShiftBlue
Reaction score
Thanks for the help

The modem on the pc isn't in built, its connected by cable to computer. So I just need a wireless router for it? Apologies for my complete ignorance here on the next few questions; but
-Do I need anything for the macbook itself then, or will the ethernet be ok?

-How does this work out for the pc if the modem now has wireless router? Will the internet provider service have to be changed to wireless service?

-How does this work out overall for the broadband service?Am I just availing of the broadband already provided by the pc? Do I have to be in the vicinity of the pc modem then to have service?

I'm a bit confused (possibly obvious from the questions above!)..

thanks again for the help in the posts above

Fiona

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hi Fiona!

Lets sort a few things out:

a) If you have DSL, you already have a "broadband" connection. (Broadband just means "fast", which DSL usually is).

b) If you get a wireless router, your DSL modem's internet will be wirelessly transmitted around your house (usually a range of a few rooms at least). Any wireless-equipped device will be able to use it. Your macbook already has a wireless receiver built-in. If your existing PC doesn't, you can also use the same ethernet cable it currently uses to connect to the modem to connect it to the router instead.

Hope this helps!

OP
RedShiftBlue
Reaction score
Ok thanks a million, that helps alot! I get it now, I was a bit confused for a while there-i'll just sort myself out with router and all should be well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.