poor video quality

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 15"
I recently purchased a new macbook (2.4Ghz). When I play DVD's with either the DVD player app or VLC the video quality is "fuzzy" especially during dark scenes. Its not quiet as bad if im playing an .avi file or something but its still there. I never had this problem on a MBP or an iMAC, Im guessing because they have dedicated video cards and the macbook doesnt but I really didnt think that would make a difference for something as simple as DVD playback? Is there maybe a way I can increase the amount of memory the X1300 is using since its shared? ... Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's odd because AVI files are compressed and generally do not give the same quality as a DVD. I have no problem whatsoever playing back DVDs on my MacBook (same model as yours), no fuzziness or distortion. What kind of DVDs are you trying to watch?

As far as the Intel GMA X3100 chipset is concerned, it's not up to par with a dedicated graphics card, but nevertheless is a good chipset. And no, you can not increase the amount of shared VRAM. Max VRAM is 144 MB.

Regards.

OP
Chris57701
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 15"
just standard store bought DVD's, I tried different ones just to make sure it wasnt the DVD itself so I dunno what the problem could be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.