Intel Core Duo iMac can't detect external display

Reaction score
Hi,

I am using an iMac G5 on OS X10.5.5 I just bought an LCD screen Samsung SyncMaster 2043bwx. I was trying to connect the LCD screen to my mac by mini-dvi cable and dvi-cable. However my mac doesnt detect it... i have been trying for hours but i have no idea what i have done wrong... please help... thanks

Alpha

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure you have a G5 iMac? The G5 iMac does not have an Intel CPU, it has a PowerPC CPU.

Regarding detecting the Samsung... From your post you say it's connected from the iMac via a mini DVI adapter cable to a DVI cable which is attached to the Samsung.

Have you gone into the "displays" setting in System Preferences and selected "detect displays" with the Samsung turned on and its input set to Digital or Automatic?

If you've done everything correctly, the iMac should detect the Samsung and set a resolution for it. If you're sure you've done all, try another monitor if possible, and\or new cables.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
oops... sorry for being a noob...
I am using a mac on Intel Duo Core. I guess the LCD screen is on Auto mode cuz it has been showing between analog and digital. I will try to grab another cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No problems ralpa. Keep us posted on success or otherwise as it does help others.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
harry:

Note from his OP that he said he had a G5.... (actually he said G5 iMac) That's why I asked if he was sure. G5 was powered by a PPC not Intel. He was just a bit mixed up on his terminology.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is how folk will refer to them for many years to come as a G5 alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.