• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

check engine light. 2001 ford ranger edge v6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
been coming on and off for 2 yrs at least. I don't care to spend $100 just to have them connect a computer to it to tell me whats wrong.

anyone know of what it might be? if it's something cheap I may replace myself if I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Honestly, without running the codes it's going to be hard to narrow down. It could be something as simple as your gas cap or something to do with your oxygen sensors or an exhaust problem or any other possible problem.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
gas cap is on tight. I have a feeling its one of the Oxygen sensors....

one of these days I guess I'll have someone look at it

thanks for the reply. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Why waste the money? If the vehicle is running fine, it's one of those useless oxygen sensors. If you're concerned about take the Ranger to autozone, they plug the OBD II reader into your OBD II and let you know what it is for free. Throw the guy $5 after he tells you it's the O2 sensor and he'll erase the code.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
been coming on and off for 2 yrs at least. I don't care to spend $100 just to have them connect a computer to it to tell me whats wrong.

anyone know of what it might be? if it's something cheap I may replace myself if I can.

You can pick up a cheap OBD-II code scanner for less than $30 and know exactly what is setting the code.

O2 sensors are NOT useless. People have this perception because they see them as part of the emissions system, but in reality, your computer uses data from these sensors to adjust air/fuel ratio, ignition timing, etc. If you have a bad O2 sensor (or sensors), you'll likely suffer in terms of fuel mileage and power.

Obviously before you drive the vehicle, check all of the fluids. Tighten the gas cap and then reset the computer (typically this is done by pulling the negative on the battery and pressing and holding the brake pedal for 30 seconds). If the light is still set, chances are it's a hard failure and not something transient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
No.
Oxygen sensors are useless. You'll lose a whopping 1MPG without one on a 4.0 litre Ford V6.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything I've ever read on the subject would seem to disagree with you. I've even seen failed catalytic converters as the result of a faulty O2 sensor left unreplaced. Do you have something to substantiate your opinion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes.
My 1985 Jaguar XJ6 has not had an oxygen sensor in it for two years and the catalytic converter is still like new. In fact I get BETTER gas mileage WITHOUT it. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yes.
My 1985 Jaguar XJ6 has not had an oxygen sensor in it for two years and the catalytic converter is still like new. In fact I get BETTER gas mileage WITHOUT it. :D

That explains it, then. The way Jags are put together, they get better the more things stop working!

Your alleged experience, however, does not apply to the vast (We're talking 99.9999%) of the vehicles on the road.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That explains it, then. The way Jags are put together, they get better the more things stop working!

Your alleged experience, however, does not apply to the vast (We're talking 99.9999%) of the vehicles on the road.

Not only that, but there is a HUGE difference between the computers they were putting into cars in 1985 (is that even OBD-I?) and an OBD-II or III vehicle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Your ignorance about Jaguars made me LOL... Considering I know HUNDREDS of Jaguar owners with Jaguars that have cracked well over 200,000 miles, your ignorant quote about Jaguars is for naught. And before you even type it, no they didn't/haven't spent an arm and a leg on repairing their Jags either - they just took care of them unlike most car owners.

Anyways, CWA since you have repsectfully disagreed with me, I will give you more information about the Oxygen sensor and I appreciate the manner you have gone about it in your disagreement....No there isn't an OBD system on my Jaguar. (Thankfully.) . Regardless I took the O2 sensors out of my mom's 1998 Ford Explorer XLT V6 and it gets getter gas mileage as well. All an oxygen sensor is, is a computer (ECU/ECM) regulated monitor that "helps" control the amount of toxins detrimental to the environment being released from your engine. It can easily be bypassed. Although it is recommended to replace a faulty oxygen sensor, the results of having a faulty oxygen sensor is not as catastrophic as people would have you believe. If you live in a state that has state and federal emissions testing every year/two years, yes I vehemently suggest replacing it if your vehicle's inspection is about to be required.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.