• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Think Different desktop bg idea...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I had an idea for an apple desktop background and that I could get a little feedback. be brutal, I can take it, I dont get embarrassed. give me any ideas.:mac:

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I know I'm far from perfect but a couple critiques:

Left: The "think different" text is wavy and the apple has diagonal lines/texture going top-right to bottom-left where the text appears to be waving from left to right, seems offsetting to me. Or maybe the apple is just a little too dark. Hmmm, interesting.

Right: I like the idea but the apple should be centered more in the background square scheme that seems to be opening up/getting brighter from the center outward. I also think it gets a little too dark around the outside edges.

Like I said, I probably couldn't do better but those are things that jump at me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The wavy text in the first one is kind of disturbing for a desktop background, the second one's better.
But i don't really like the background color, for 2 reasons:

1. It reminds me too much of Windows 98 (the one that caused most of my headaches!)

2. It doesn't really go well with red...

Just my 2cents... :cool:

PS: I'm in no way a graphic designer, and therefore can't give much advice. I'm just stating my personal opinion... :dive:

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
heres a remake.

apple4.jpg

Z

zeppster

Macman said:
heres a remake.

I like this one MUCH better. But still a few things...

The style that Apple usually takes is simple text. None of that wavy stuff, also I don't like that it is blocking the Apple. But hey its your background.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I like the remake, good job.

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
heres a totally different idea. thoughts?

apple desktop idea1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is cool, the only suggestion I would have is maybe do a gradient overlay on the background part to give it a feeling of depth. Otherwise very cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Looks very nice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mind if I contribute?

applethink3.jpg

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats nice, only thing is it has the same flaws you all said the original had

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Macman said:
heres a totally different idea. thoughts?

I like the blue one, except for the font... too round for my taste ;-)

But the picture itself is great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
thats nice, only thing is it has the same flaws you all said the original had

Yeah I know, but it sure is fun playing around seeing what different things I can come up with. :spook:

Someday I'll get past the learning phase and actually know what I'm doing. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.