Macbook Pro: Why So Hot???

Reaction score
hi all...

i'm just wondering why my MBP gets so hot on the bottom after an hour of being powered on?

is this normal?

are there things i can be doing to prevent this or that i should be watching out for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
Hey I have a macbook pro and comparatively to other machines that I used it does not get hot at all. I can very comfortably leave it on my lap when I use it. I know this isn't much help but at least you have another perspective.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It kind of depends on what you are doing with your MBP. If you are just listening to music and surfing the web it shouldn't get that hot.

However if you are playing a game or doing something CPU intensive then yeah it will get hot pretty fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
One guy's switcher blog I read is David Allison and he seemed to have a similar problem. If you click on the link it will take you to a post where he talks about an app called fan control - hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Instead of using fan control, I would recommend smcFanControl... It has a nice menubar interface, and is safer to use than other programs.

OP
W
Reaction score
thanks guys!

i don't know much about the standard fan speeds of a MBP.

if i'm going to install something like smcFanControl, is there a guide i can reference where i can be sure i won't put the wrong settings on each fan which could result in damage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I agree - smcFanControl is the bomb. I run the fans anywhere from 2000-4000 RPM's. I have found 2500 to be perfect for 90%+ of the time. Pretty hard to hurt anything with the program. I am sure some people will claim the fans could wear out faster, but better having worn out fans than having your private parts on fire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Cos it's metal - and also hence the 'notebook' not 'laptop thing' - if you intend to use it on your lap I recommend wearing trousers at all times!

Reaction score
Or put your sleeve under the notebook. That's what I'm doing right now (with a macbook, but you get the point).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
They get hot.......doing nothing other than looking at this forum in safari the enclosure base is 99F CPU is 140F and the GUP Diode is 157F. Pretty toasty......that is how Apple designed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
All laptops now run very hot.

That's why they're called notebooks nowadays - they will fry your lap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP, 2.4ghz Penryn, OSX 10.5.6, 200gb HDD, 4gb ram; 32gb iPod Touch
What's the ideal temperature that the MBP should operate at? And what are the temperature limits that we should be aware of? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There's nothing to be 'aware of' to be honest. It's ideal temperature is the one it's running at.

If anything were to ever go wrong, you'd experience freezes or shutdowns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Yes, the temp of your laptop is not for you to worry about. It runs no hotter then it should. Get a platform to use it on or a cooling device. They are cheap.

Reaction score
I was having the same problem not too long ago, my Macpro was just too hot SmcFanControl works great but it does affect battery life. It just kept bothering me that I needed a utility to keep it from getting hot. I was also having problems with battery life even without SmcFanControl running so in my searches i read about Run Away Applications shortening battery life Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime this solution fixed my battery life and the temperature of the laptop. Hope it helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
if you leave the screens intensity all the way up, that will cause it to get hot really quick. i try to leave my screen down to the level just above off. this not only saves heat, but it will save some battery time too.

Reaction score
On a related note - is it ok to let a mbp (turned off) sit in the trunk of a car in middle of the day in the summer? I am taking a road trip and want to bring the machine along but worry about how hot it might get in there.

Thanks

[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Sure. It ain't gonna get anywhere near operating temperatures... even here in Arizona.

Reaction score
but still....

So, what if I AM experiencing freezing, crashes? And my Apple Care expired, partly because it is a hand me down at work?

I know it may be silly to want to control the fans just for the sake of it, but how do I determine if they are actually working or not? And is nearly 170 degrees F too hot?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.