I may have deleted my desktop?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm not commonly a Mac person, or a computer person at that. Although, I do own and even use a Macbook on occasion. Today, I was looking to upload some software dealing with music editing, and incidentally, I thought it might be a good idea to run Parallels and possibly Ubuntu as well for this purpose. Before I did any of this, I went through the computer to clean it up a little, as my sister shares it with me. So, I went about trashing anything looking like some random nonsense a teenage girl would normally download whilst on her facebook, skype, and meebo chatting spree.

Now, I have files, folders, and applications disappearing while I'm working. I'm not familiar with the Mac do and do not rules, but I am almost certain that I've deleted a desktop folder of some type, and that, yes, certain items are being routed directly to my trash bin. And no, they do not appear in the bin; they're just gone, nowhere on the hard drive.

I care not how foolish this sounds, as I'm sure it does. But I do have important art work, writing, and friends' work that I would like to manage.

Thanks so much
Isaac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Did you rename her home directory at any point (the folder with the house icon)

OP
I
Reaction score
I did. And I moved it as well, from the sidebar in Finder at least. Every possible folder has been checked for these missing items.

Thanks

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I believe that I've finally got things situated. It seems that I somehow managed to delete my desktop folder, and coincidentally, everything that I moved to the desktop was more or less useless.

The big problem was that once your desktop is in the trash, you can not restore it.

So, I had planned on wiping everything, as well as OS X and running solely Ubuntu, although Adobe doesn't get along with Linux too well, regardless of emulators. I ended up simply backing up a few important files, creating a new user, and then deleting the old.

This has cleaned things up sufficiently, although, I am still curious about Ubuntu...

Thanks
Isaac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.