99% charged

OK I have had my powbook for a little over 3 weeks and I did the drain the battery and then charge it thing. But when I let it charge it never goes to 100% it always stays at 99% is this normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
My Ibook does the same thing, and sometimes while its plugged in it will go down a few percent. Is keeping my Ibook plugged in causing a problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
oldnews said:
My Ibook does the same thing, and sometimes while its plugged in it will go down a few percent. Is keeping my Ibook plugged in causing a problem?
as long as you unplug once every couple of weeks and lert the batt totally drain til the ibook dies and shuts itself down, thewn replug it back in to start charging or using, it wont cause a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
since we are talking about bateries, any body know how many cycles the powerbook batery has, cycle= loosing and recharging until it hits 100%, is it a couple thousand, or hundred before it starts loosing power?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
OK I have had my powbook for a little over 3 weeks and I did the drain the battery and then charge it thing. But when I let it charge it never goes to 100% it always stays at 99% is this normal?

Yes, this is normal.

This is what I found on the Apple site…

PowerBook G4, iBook battery does not show a full charge in Mac OS X

Some PowerBook G4 and iBook computers may not show the battery as 100 percent charged in Mac OS X, even when the power adapter is plugged in. The battery appears to stop charging between 95 percent and 99 percent.

This is normal. The batteries used in these computers are designed to avoid short discharge/charge cycles in order to prolong the overall life of the battery. Because of this, when setting the Mac OS X battery status menu bar icon to display charge state by percentage, you may notice that the reported charge stays between 95 percent and 99 percent. When the battery level eventually drops below 95 percent, it will charge all the way to 100 percent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
mine does the same thing i was worried at first but thats good to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Is there anyway to change that setting? Say make it drop down to 90 or even 85% before it starts charging again?

I'm just paraniod of having to replace the battery on these...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.