• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie is slow. Is it my comp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
When I transfer HD TV shows from my tivo to my comp i use imovie to edit out the commercials, but it always runs very slowly. Especially while scrubbing through the thumbnails. is imovie 2008 always slow when editing HD content or is it that my 2.2 ghz MBP is too slow to handle it? Also, would the older version of imovie work better for my needs? Thanks!

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Thinking out loud; Does this occur with shorter length clips? Does this occur when the project is on an external drive? Have you tried de-selecting 'Audio Skimming' under the View menu?

Notice that Apple allows the user to import 1080 at half size. I wonder if they allowed that because they know of a possible performance hit. You'd think all the thumbnails are the same regardless of source. Excepting the display ratio of course.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the files are on my internal HD. I'll try to turn off audio skimming, thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Yes, HD material would certainly have something to do with it, and I doubt it's your MBP. Probably the high amount of material.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.