Backing up my applications

Reaction score
I am about to reinstall Leopard on my MacBook Pro. It has been getting slow and I want a fresh start.

Most of my apps I can re-download and re-install easily, but some are large and gangly.

Would it work to simply copy an app package from my Applications folder to an external HD, then copy it back across when I've reinstalled the OS?

Many thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is one of those things - it may and again it may not. Apps such as Microsoft Office and other large applications could do with a clean install as there is always a chance of taking the conflict to the new OS with the old apps.

Have you tried running a Utility such as Onyx or MacJanitor or Macaroni and running the various daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts and then deleting caches etc? Worth a try before doing re-install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Have you tried running a Utility such as Onyx or MacJanitor or Macaroni and running the various daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts and then deleting caches etc? Worth a try before doing re-install.

What is the use of cache if I may ask? Would it be safe to just delete it using the utilities you mentioned? thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.