iBook G4 1.42Ghz - Tiger vs. Leopard and 512Mb/1Gb/1.5Gb RAM?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just wanted some thoughts about how to configure a used iBook that I have being delivered to me this week.

The current configuration is:

iBook G4 14" 1.42Ghz
512Mb RAM
OS X 10.4

I am looking to use iMovie 6/HD on this as the primary purpose of the iBook. I realise that it won't have amazing grunt for the video processing.

My questions are:

1. Tiger or Leopard? Will Leopard slow or speed up the system at this configuration? I've used Tiger before and liked it - is it worth buying a Leopard upgrade?

2. RAM upgrade yes or no? If so, another 512Mb or will 1Gb really make a huge difference (RAM in New Zealand is expensive so I don't want to buy the extra 1Gb if I would see little performace difference over 512Mb).

3. What is iMovie performance going to be like, out of interest? My handycam doesn't do HD so hopefully the G4 will be bearable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
iMovie performance will be fine. also, you probably (and i say probably, because it depends on how much you multitask) will see a performance boost with more ram. also, i would stick with Tiger, unless you need leopard for any specific reason. Justin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I Used to have the same iBook as you and im in NZ as well, try looking here if you want the extra 1GB its not that expensive, I had to buy mine for around $100 something on trademe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I would say, put as much memory into the thing as it will hold, and stick with Tiger. That should leave you with acceptable performance in iMove.

You'll need to make sure you have enough free disk space for your video, and still have at least 10% free afterwards. Mac OS X needs that much free space to run properly.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated!

I have taken delivery of this notebook now, but still not sure if I should stick with the 14" or consider looking for a 12" Powerbook instead.

Do both take the same RAM type and how "fussy" are Mac notebooks when it comes to RAM? Will most of the "big brands" suffice?

I'm not really sure how useful the new Leopard features are going to be for me - when I read the list of changes I get confused and don't understand if they would be useful for me.

And does a PowerBook with better video RAM and a slight processor speed bump offer vastly improved performance over an iBook or not really?

Ah the 12" vs. 14" at the same video resolution debate...any thoughts?

Reaction score
With my 1.5ghz/1.5gb of ram G4, I now regret upgrading Leopard. My mac is slower and the cons outweigh the pro's.

OP
A
Reaction score
johnwd thanks for that! That helps me a lot.

What were the features in Leopard that you might miss if you were to go back?

Reaction score
You know that's a good question. I can't say for sure because I'm slow enough to be wary of getting too involved with exploring. It took me 5 or 6 times more to download 3 cd's into itunes yesterday. The only app's I was using were itunes, firefox, activity monitor and my ipod was also pluged in.

Ironically it was a little faster once I quit activity monitor !

My G4 is a Quicksilver upgraded with a Fastmac 1.5ghz processor. I've maxed the ram to 1.5g with 512 per 3 slots. I guess this has taught me to get a faster Mac ! I just need to sell some of the stuff I'm fixing - pah, easy, er...!

OP
A
Reaction score
iMovie performance will be fine. also, you probably (and i say probably, because it depends on how much you multitask) will see a performance boost with more ram. also, i would stick with Tiger, unless you need leopard for any specific reason. Justin.
Hi Justin, I just noticed your specs are close to the iBook I have (at least on paper). Does Leopard run ok or is it noticeably sluggish?

Also I've heard that with each 10.5.x update, that the system has run faster?? Is that for real?

I decided to look at the "300+" features in Leopard, and there are some interesting ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.