Will my Macbook work with SmartBoard?

Reaction score
So I have this presentation I have to show to my class on Monday. Everyone else will be showing there presentation via the laptop already plugged into the SmartBoard. But since I used Keynote Im taking my Macbook with me to school and am hoping it will work with the SmartBoard.

So does anyone know if my Macbook will work with the SmartBoard at my school? Please respond!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe someone could give you an answer if you told us what a SmartBoard is? A Google search turns up a "Smart Board" that's apparently for education use with computers but there is no information other than what it is.

I'm afraid this is one you're going to have deal with on the spot. :(

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Export your presentation to Powerpoint, put it on a thumbdrive or something and use it on the classroom computer like everyone else. Your school has a license key for the software required to operate the SMART board, and it is only installed on computers your school put it on using that license. You have no such software, and acquiring it will cost you a significant amount of money since the product key is only available if you buy one of those SMART boards yourself.

OP
M
Reaction score
Export your presentation to Powerpoint, put it on a thumbdrive or something and use it on the classroom computer like everyone else. Your school has a license key for the software required to operate the SMART board, and it is only installed on computers your school put it on using that license. You have no such software, and acquiring it will cost you a significant amount of money since the product key is only available if you buy one of those SMART boards yourself.

But I don't want to use the touch functionality of the SMART Board. I just want to use it as a screen.

Reaction score
In that case you're not actually using the smartboard, you're just using the projector.
It *should* work, but unless you have tried it (why don't you just go to the classroom prior to the presentation and try it out?) - I would just do what Discerptor advised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
But I don't want to use the touch functionality of the SMART Board. I just want to use it as a screen.

I doubt your peers are using the touch functionality either. But they seem to have realised that the easiest way to do this is to use the computer already hooked in. There's no justifiable reason for insisting on using your computer for the presentation, especially if you're going to have to jump through hoops to pull it off and don't even know if it'll work.

And if it is indeed possible to just plug in to the projector, your MacBook is still unable to do that unless you want to spend extra money. Most projectors on the market use S-Video or VGA in for computers, and the MacBook only has a Mini-DVI port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
keynote will export to several formats that can be read by any modern windows laptop (powerpoint, .mov, etc). If you're not sure if it will work, you can give it a try, but you should be prepared to be able to play it on the laptop there. (like on a thumbdrive as suggested above.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.