Making a backup copy of my OS X Tiger

Reaction score
I like to make back up copies of my software and keep them in a safe place. I want to copy my Tiger OS. It is on a DVD. Do I just do a straight copy or do I have to do some kind of a Bootable DVD to make it work if I ever need it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I shall be very interested in the responses to this question. FMPOV - can I lawfully do a backup of the full install OS disk to put in a safe place as insurance against, for example, a fire, which might otherwise destroy my one and only copy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I use to do that, backup cd's I paid for, and use the copy. nothing wrong with it in my book. I think you are allowed to do that. I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think if you have an external HDD you could just use disk utility to make an image of your disk. Then you can boot from your external HDD if you disk gets damaged for whatever reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I think if you have an external HDD you could just use disk utility to make an image of your disk. Then you can boot from your external HDD if you disk gets damaged for whatever reason.

Well that depends on what model machine you have. PowerPC will boot only from firewire and the external drive must be partitioned in Apple Partition Map format. USB 2 is too slow. USB 2 will boot Intel machine, from memory.

Use Toast to copy DVD, or in Leopard's case DL, put original discs in a safe place and for day to day and maintenance use, the copy does the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I use SuperDuper! to back up my HD to my external HD and use it to boot if anything happens to my HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.