Power Mac G5 or iMac G5?

P

PaxAmericana

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but felt this was the most relevant forum.

Anyway, here goes... I am a Windows user looking to switch to a Mac. But...I am skeptical of the all-in-one design of the iMac. So I have looked to the affordable single processor G5 Power Mac.

Is there anything to warrant the same price without a screen? I have some screens here to use, but the cost of the machine is still high. I like expansion and the faster DVD burner, but does that truly warrant the extra price? Also, how does the G5 speed compare to that of the dual-processor systems?

I am going to be using this machine mainly for amateur video editing and some photo-work.

I'm pretty sure I won't buy this till after MWSF just so I get the best deal I can.

OP
D

Danster

Well the iMac will suit all your needs and then some. I dont think you will need a DP for amateur video + photo editing if you are doing some heavy graphics work you may need to go for the upgraded graphics card on the powermac other than that
that Imac is great in all departments :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
The Powermacs are for businesses or people in the industry really, the iMac is for home use so you will fine with that. It's all-in-one but extremely powerful.

OP
C

Cloudane

I agree, unless you're a tinkerer and really like to mess about with the components, and there's little of that in modern computers anyway. An iMac should suffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I love my iMac so far it does everything I need it to and more! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I like the iMac! Best all in one Mac ever IMO :alien:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
well, I am very much into the video editing world. I use the Powermac, with final cut pro HD, with DV Deck, and vcr. In the post production section of our TV Studio, we have 1 million dollars worth of macs for the video editing, and then for like little stuff, we use powerbooks so that we can use them on the set to get a little idea of what it will look like. Now I have never used an iMac, but i hear they are good. Now the question is, do you want to expand over time to do more advanced video editing. I don't know, that is just how i feel on the whole differnce of the computers

Reaction score
If i were you, i'd go with the G5 PowerMac. Then if something happend like if your screen broke after a while, then you wouldn't have to replace the whole machine. If you really need expandibility then go with the PowerMac. I jsut don't really liek the idea of an AIO.

OP
I

i love macs

shaun89 said:
If i were you, i'd go with the G5 PowerMac. Then if something happend like if your screen broke after a while, then you wouldn't have to replace the whole machine. If you really need expandibility then go with the PowerMac. I jsut don't really liek the idea of an AIO.

i tht that with the new imac they made it so pretty much every part cld be replaced?? even the screen

OP
N

nomore

If you want pretty much the best performace desktop money can buy, get the Power Mac. It has faster CPU(s), much faster memory bus (and much faster GPU than the iMac G5 offers. Plus it's very expandable if you wish to upgrade it in the future. The build quality of the Power Mac is also better than the iMac.

iMac is great if you don't want to play the latest 3D games and will only use it for the internet, office work etc. and maybe some photo editing and occasional video work.

OP
D

Danster

I think the screen could be replaced but it would probely cost you £££ but if you take good care of it there will be no need so go for the iMac. :p

OP
D

Danster

nomore said:
iMac is great if you don't want to play the latest 3D games and will only use it for the internet, office work etc. and maybe some photo editing and occasional video work.

The eMac is for occasional things like simple video +photo editing, the iMac is in the line of the professionals. I mean it has a G5 processor so what if it can't play the latest half life 2 on full whack if you buy a pc that can that's all the pc will be capable of I have halo on full settings and it's great.

I think you need to have a little more of a closer look as to what the iMac can do.

OP
N

nomore

Danster said:
The eMac is for occasional things like simple video +photo editing, the iMac is in the line of the professionals. I mean it has a G5 processor so what if it can't play the latest half life 2 on full whack if you buy a pc that can that's all the pc will be capable of I have halo on full settings and it's great.

I think you need to have a little more of a closer look as to what the iMac can do.

The FX5200 is not capable of running a game like Half Life 2 at full resolution with all the effect settings on because it doesn't support all the effects... and the frame rate will drop signifcantly.

All the game graphics are handled by the GPU, not the CPU, so the fact that it's a G5 doesn't make much difference for graphics. You could have a 800MHz G4 with a Radeon 9800 which would thrash the 1.8GHz iMac G5 in terms of gaming.

The iMac is designed for home users who do not demand great performance from games. The G5 Power Mac will also be a lot quicker for CPU intensice tasks such as raytracing and video encoding because of the greater memory bandwidth.

OP
D

Danster

nomore said:
The FX5200 is not capable of running a game like Half Life 2 at full resolution with all the effect settings on because it doesn't support all the effects... and the frame rate will drop signifcantly.

All the game graphics are handled by the GPU, not the CPU, so the fact that it's a G5 doesn't make much difference for graphics. You could have a 800MHz G4 with a Radeon 9800 which would thrash the 1.8GHz iMac G5 in terms of gaming.

The iMac is designed for home users who do not demand great performance from games. The G5 Power Mac will also be a lot quicker for CPU intensice tasks such as raytracing and video encoding because of the greater memory bandwidth.

Yes i know the fx5200 is bollocks but if you read my post properly i said so what if you can't play half life 2
not will be able to and from what i have heard doom 3 will play on it
not on full settings mind you

also it's designed for both home + professional users stick 2 GB of RAM in it and it will run the some of the most intense video+photo editing and can stand up to the PowerMac G5.

So stop saying it's for web and light photo + video editing :eek:

OP
N

nomore

Danster said:
Yes i know the fx5200 is bollocks but if you read my post properly i said so what if you can't play half life 2
not will be able to and from what i have heard doom 3 will play on it
not on full settings mind you

also it's designed for both home + professional users stick 2 GB of RAM in it and it will run the some of the most intense video+photo editing and can stand up to the PowerMac G5.

So stop saying it's for web and light photo + video editing :eek:

CALM DOWN!

OP
N

nomore

Danster said:

Groovy.

Y'know that Apple are going to be pushing Core Video in their applications, and video programs like Motion will be unusable on a FX5200.

I wouldn't be suprised if future versions of Final Cut Express use Core Video, and they will probably also push it into iMovie at some point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.