Pentium 4 in G3...?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I recently acquired an Apple G3 with the power PC processor.. After some research I found the graphical lag is normal due to the slow processor. My question is this...

I have a Compaq with a Pentium 4 processor and a fried hard drive, and I read that some G3's come with Intel processors, could I replace the Power PC processor with the Intel Pentium 4 from my Compaq?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where did you read that some G3s came with an Intel processor? There was (at one time) an add in card that contained an Intel processor that could be placed in certain Macs in order to run Windows. I'm not even sure how long ago that was or even which models it worked with.

The answer to your question is no. If you want a faster Mac, buy a newer model.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
No way.

Different sockets, different architecture.

Any graphical lag with your G3 could just as easily be caused by the slow hard drive and low memory anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 ,1.67 GHz,120 GB hard disk; Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
Sorry There Right... Can't Put A Pentium On A Mac? Buy A Faster System Dude

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.