• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

idvd widescreen issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I've been trying to make a few dvds of recent. From old VHS and stuff I've had lying around. With idvd. And it worked all fine. Apart from one little thing.

With a store bought dvd it's fine on a widescreen TV and on a normal 4:3 tv it appears widescreen also just with the black bars at the top and bottom. Which I'm totally cool with. But with a dvd made with idvd this doesn't happen. The dvd plays normally on a wide screen tv. But on my normal 4:3 tv, there is no bars on top or bottom just the sides of the screen are cropped off to make it fit. So I lose the sides.

Is there any way to make it like a store bought dvd with the black bars so I don't lose any of the screen on my 4:3 tv?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
See these two forum links; one & two.

P.S. Please, when you post, put version numbers of the software you are using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.