copy & copy replace, lost files :(

Reaction score
Leopard Stupid Mistake

OSC Leopard 10.5.6

Let's say, I have Portable's Disk folder "ABC" with 100 files and a USB KEY folder "ABC" with 10 files.

Now I copy (drag & drop) USB KEY 's "ABC" into Portable. Leopard says there is already a folder there with the same name and asked if I want to replace, (or STOP), I mistaken believe that it will do a replace copy, not erase-replace. My belief was that it will copy the 10 files into the same folder with 100 files for a total of 110, sorta merging the two same name folders..

Oh no, it deletes my 100 files and replace it with 10 files. Now I can't for any mean find the other 100 files.

Not in the trash can, not anywhere I can search. :(

:(

:((

Aanyone can help?

Reaction score
restore after copy deletes folder

I had the same thing happen to me. I don't understand why anyone would make a copy/paste or move feature clear out all existing files before it copied.

Did you ever find a solution?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That is the problem with how Unix handles moving of files.

Reaction score
This isn't a Unix thing. If I'm not mistaken, the same thing would happen with Windows. If you chose to replace 'ABC' with 'ABC', it will do exactly that -- replace it.

To avoid this in the future, drag the 10 files from 'ABC' on the USB key into 'ABC' on the Portable Disk. The 10 files will be added to the 100 that are already there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, windows acts exactly the same (unless there is some new merge function in Vista, which I have not tried). This is not something new. If you drag a folder to a location that already has a folder of the same name, it asks the same question - you say yes - it does exactly that, replaces the existing folder with the folder you're moving/copying.

Be careful also while copying the files from folder to folder - any files with the same name will also be replaced with the one you're moving.

Don't know of a way to regain the files/folder that were replaced in Windows or OS X. Possibly with recovery software - or sending the drive out to a professional recovery company. To do so, you need to stop using the drive immediately.

Reaction score
Yep, windows acts exactly the same (unless there is some new merge function in Vista, which I have not tried). This is not something new. If you drag a folder to a location that already has a folder of the same name, it asks the same question - you say yes - it does exactly that, replaces the existing folder with the folder you're moving/copying.

Not exactly. OSX does something VERY dumb, it replaces folders, while Windows simply MERGES folders. So yes, if a file has the same name, it will be overwritten (the system asks explicitly, for every file, unless you mark a checkbox like in OSX) but if you're moving a folder with the same name, but different contents, it will be merged with the existing stuff.

Honestly, I can't understand what they were thinking when they designed the copy/move feature in OSX, it's a rather common thing to want to merge folders (think failed transfers from external sources for example).

Reaction score
Absolutely agree. Replacing Folders instead of Merging the is RETARDED.

Absolutely agree here.
I am using OSX 10.6.4
Windows does NOT do the same thing AT ALL [not in the older versions, not even in XP, or any of the more recent versions].
Windows MERGES the folders, and if the files within the folders have the same name, it asks if you want to replace each individual file with the same name, by giving you a few options "Replace File" or "Skip This File", [or to cancel the merge completely at each particular point that it asks] and gives you a checkbox option for if you want to repeat that decision for every single file.
If you leave the checkbox unchecked, it continues to ask what your decision is for every file.

I was a long time dedicated windows user, but am now a dedicated Mac User [so much better in general] HOWEVER, this is an INFURIATING, VERY FRUSTRATING oversight, and causes SO many hassles and is SUCH a pain.
:Angry::Angry::Angry::Not-Amused::Not-Amused::'(:Shouting::Angry:

I cannot understand why they overlooked this or made it the way it is.
It actually seems retarded.

A very simple , basic , no brainer I would have THOUGHT.

Other than this, and one other frustrating problem, my mac experience has been great. But this is a HUGE pain, and really makes it a struggle for me to organize my folders manually and back up things manually. Time Machine is not an answer to everything [not even close].
Some things HAVE to be done manually, and the way this function is set up, it makes this process INCREDIBLY HARD AND PAINFUL , when it was incredibly EASY and SIMPLE in Windows.

Sorry to have such a rant. I might post this in the Apple forum. I want this to be heard and changed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.