newbie networking challenges

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g5quad 104.11/mbpro 2.2 10.4.11/5.5
hello mac forums

so i have just set up a ethernet network and an airport network for my personal workspace and i am needing some info to realize my goal.

system includes : g5 quad, macbook pro 2.2 ghz and iphone 8g latest firmware and both machines on 10.4.11. internet connection is via ethernet port 1 on quad and the port 2 is connected to the laptop.

what i would like to do:

1) is run a software controller app from my iphone via the airport connection on my mbpro and buss that signal to other software running on my tower.

2) have both g5 and mbpro hooked up to the internet and local net then have the iphone connected to the mbpro via the airport. but i cannot seem to create a setting that will allow all devices to be active at the same time. i can either have the ethernet port as the active sharing port or the airport but not both (on the mbpro).

3) is this possible? can some recommend a good info'source for getting my head into the networking details?

4 )is it possible to run software on the g5 and control that remotely? what happens when i setup the sharing to allow for users to access the content/apps on both machines is the apps want to run from the remote machine vs the one that it is installed on and that is not what will work for my goals as some of the software has a hardware component that is installed on the tower.

any advice or direction would be most appreciated

thanks

phi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Buy yourself an Airport Extreme base station or some other wired/wireless router combo solution.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g5quad 104.11/mbpro 2.2 10.4.11/5.5
Buy yourself an Airport Extreme base station or some other wired/wireless router combo solution.

i am trying to avoid using the pcie slot as i want it for other options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.