Windows Boot Camp: Disconnection from the Internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
I posted this in the Windows Discussion section but didn't receive any help:

When running Windows with Bootcamp I am frequently disconnected from my network as if I have unplugged something, although my roommate is still connected just fine. We're connected wirelessly and the wireless connection will just have that red x on it for a few seconds/minutes, or until i click on it and reconnect to our network. I have the latest Bootcamp and Windows updates, so what could be going wrong? This doesn't seem to occur when I'm running my iMac in OS X.

Someone mentioned that my security could be causing this, and I'm not sure if I want to disable this, as someone nearby could access our network and potentially our computers if I do. I opened the router's wireless security page and it looks like this:

Security Mode: WPA Personal (selected from drop down list)
WPA Algorithms: TKIP (selected from drop down list)
WPA Shared Key: mypassword
Group Key Renewal: 3600 seconds

Would adjusting any of these settings fix my problem or do I have to disable the security entirely?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think you were advised to turn off security long enough to test the system and see if that is indeed the problem. Unless there are hackers hanging around your area just waiting for a chance to intercept your signal, that is not going to cause any harm.

You have to isolate the cause and the only way to find out if the security settings are the root of the problem is to temporarily turn it off. If after turning it off the same thing happens, we can go from there.

Regards.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
It looks like the problem is isolated then, I've been running with it off for quite a few hours and haven't experienced any problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.