pushed in replacement HD without pull caddy.. help

Reaction score
I have a macbook that has a bad harddrive and was trying to follow some DIY instructions to put in a new replacement, and ofcourse the set i followed missed the step about removing the torx screws and replacing on the new one. i had already pushed it in, and without the white pull tab removing it is not easy! any ideas for what to use, i saw one blog said use thin tweezers, i have not powered on or tried anything, still exposed. suprisingly very little on the web about this issue, but i'm sure i'm not the only one who acted too quickly.

Will it hurt my computer work case scenario to boot up and install discs without the metal shield on?

any help is appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
DO NOT turn on the machine without the metal shield or screws in place! Serious damage can occur to the new drive.

Use a pair of sturdy tweezers or a long set of needle nose pliers to remove the hard drive and install it correctly. Make sure the pull tab is tucked under the drive so the drive can be easily removed if you should need to do so.

BTW, the instructions on the Apple site are very complete as are the instructions at www.ifixit.com. You may have missed those steps. :\

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Success removing the harddrive!

Thank you for your suggestions! i carefully tried some thin tweezers to no avail. But then my macgyver-husband came home and slipped a good sticky post-it note in on top, slid a thicker peice of cardboard in and pressed down to get the post it to stick and low and behold in under 2 mins pulled the post-it like a tab and it was out!!

Very happy, and very thankful i didn't turn on the computer yet! Now to put on the caddy correctly, a mistake i will not make twice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Good to hear you got it fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.