Folder Icons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8
how can i change the icons of folders i create.. ie not the standard blue folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
if you click on get the info of the folder (cmd+i) or file->get info, then click on the icon in the top left hand corner, you can copy and past between file icons. (the icon has to be selected with a blue glow around it, copy and paste the icons with cmd+c and cmd+v) to do this you have to have something with the same icon as what you would like, most often if you make your own picture, it will have the picture as the icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
I have a question... How do you change them back!?

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8
alright i'm able to use the icons of other files, but not sure how to set a picture as an icon.. like a .jpg or .png picture i have on my comp that i'd like to use as an icon. any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have a question... How do you change them back!?

Locate an ordinary/plain folder somewhere on your Mac and use the same process as explained earlier to copy its icon image to the one you wish to change back to its original.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
the easiest way to change them back, is in the info window, select the icon and hit your delete key.

also, this seems to be a hit and miss solution, usually based on the file type, but if you open a .png, or .jpg etc.. in preview, select all, copy, then paste in the info window it will (usually) work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Pics as Icons

not sure how to set a picture as an icon.. like a .jpg or .png picture i have on my comp that i'd like to use as an icon. Any advice?

Yes. And thanks for prodding me with your question.

Find a favourite pic, one that you'd like to attach to (possibly) a related or often-used folder. Trim the picture as much as possible, although I'm not sure that's absolutely essential, and then Copy.

Now choose the plain folder and Get Info. Click the icon showing in the top of the folder Info window to select it and then Paste. Hey presto! The pic should now show on the folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.