Installing Tiger rules on an older machine

Reaction score
Got an older PowerMac G4 the other day. Also had some OS X's from collecting OS's over the years. What are the rules on installing this OS X Tiger on the older PowerMac?
Is this allowed by Apple? Do I have to register anything? Do I have to update to get registered or activated?
Don't want to screw up my OS 9 in the process and have a Mac without an OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
no registering or serial numbers required.... Im not sure of the rules... who ever reads all that legal stuff anyway? I can't read legalese... worse than computer jargon :)

I can tell you what I do... If I bought (as in, Paid for) a retail copy of tiger, and I want to install it on two macs I own, i'm doing it. After all I paid for it. (now I would not install on any mac I don't own, that don't seem right).

Not sure if thats right or wrong. Never gave it much thought to be honest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
As long as it is a retail copy you can load it without serial numbers or any activation (after all you have to buy a mac to run OS X, so pirating the OS is largely pointless)

After that you can update to 10.4.11 through software update at no extra cost

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.