TV tuner question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I've been lurking around the TV tuner aisle at Best Buy for a while now. My question is: Is it really plug and play? Just install the tuner and you have TV on your notebook? I've even seen some HD tuners for under $200. What about a channel subscription, does it just feed off of whatever home service you have or do you need to buy some sort of monthly service? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well there might be some configuration involved, such as scanning for which channels are available. But generally, yes, it's quite simple.

You can use your current cable connection. Tuners have a coax input on one side (USB being the other, obviously) that you plug a cable into and after scanning for channels you should be able to watch TV.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To Kash:

Any recommendation for a good OS X compatible TV Tuner that would work with a set top cable box? Thanks.

Regards.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
So I would only be able to use this while at home, in range of whatever adapter I have to put on my cable box?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
So I would only be able to use this while at home, in range of whatever adapter I have to put on my cable box?
It is not an adapter that you put on your cable box...

There is an "adapter" that plugs into you computer via USB, at the other end of this adapter, there is a coax connector, you will have to connect you cable box to this connector using a coax cable...

Hover that being said, I remember seeing a mac compatible wireless tv tunner...

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
It is not an adapter that you put on your cable box...

There is an "adapter" that plugs into you computer via USB, at the other end of this adapter, there is a coax connector, you will have to connect you cable box to this connector using a coax cable...

Hover that being said, I remember seeing a mac compatible wireless tv tunner...

That's what I'm talking about, a wireless TV tuner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
There's EyeTV but that's not wireless...

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I found this on the Apple site but from the looks of it I don't think it's wireless, guessing it requires you to have a cable line nearby to plug in.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR374LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDExOA&mco=OTQxMzg

But my other concern is still unanswered - Granted if you get the hard-wired one you don't have to worry about a separate service because you would be getting the same channel line-up as whatever service you get for your house... But if there is a wireless TV tuner out there does it only pull the free, local channels? A lot say they get HD channels, is there some extra service you would have to buy, like a wireless TV subscription?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
I'm using an EyeTV 250Plus and it works great. Setup is pretty straightforward and it does everything I need (watch tv, record, schedule tv show recording, export to any file format/devices...).

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
What's the setup? Do you have to run a cable from your box or wall to your MBP or any wireless functions? If you have the cable unplugged do you still get any channels?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.