Waiting for the new Graphics Card

S

satrop

Hi all,

just got me a new graphics card the NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT, and I was wonder what is the best way to install it? And what I mean by that is, should I leave the stock graphics card in there? Its the stock card NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, if so do I/ can I RAID them? Will the Pro just do it?? Any advice would be great!

Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
RAID is a term for HD backup and speed increase and does not apply to video cards. You thinking SLI which cannot be done except with the same video card (and I do not know whether a mac pro can even do it).

You may keep it in for a second monitor but otherwise it is not of much use.

OP
S

satrop

Right so I have the new NIVIDA card 7800GT. I am new to this so, whats the gig then? I've looked allmost everwhere I can think of but I can't find any help on installing the thing on my Mac Pro. I installed the card last night, and before I had a chance to look for the extra power connections on the mother board my brother comes in and turns the power on, but the cards fan started up, so question one!

Do I need to hook the card up to more power? If so where are they? Are they hiding behind the fans at the front? (I had such fun trying to get them out the first time)

Anyway, Mac powers up, but no picture? I remove the DVI cable and put it back in the old card, I left it in there just in case of something like this happening. Picture is there! Great! And I don't know why but I swaped it back to the new card, and I had a picture, I had to do a restart at this point, Mac be-boots. No picture again?, I swap the DIV cable over to the old and them back to the new, I get picture. I then have a look in system utills and the computer is seeing the card ok. Great. I test a game "Spore", quick side note, if your thinking of getting this game... don't bother "Spending" money on it. So I set the game setting to high (pulged into the graphics card) and there is NO improvment in game spead what so ever. So can anyone help me on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
It needs the extra power for the picture. It will not work without it. You can get the adapter necessary from any computer store (it should have come with one in the box).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Great stuff! Keep us posted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.