Need some space saving ideas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
I have a MB with a 120GB hard drive on it. It's 4GB away from being full (mainly music and pictures) and I need to create some space to have an XP installation via VMWare Fusion so I can work from home

Been searching the forum to no avail for some space saving hints. Possible areas to look at:

1) I seem to remember there's an application that deletes the Internatioal settings for languages you don't use
2) I've got a lot of edited photos in iPhoto and could possibly delete the originals - is there a script or package that will do this
3) My iTunes folder is 57GB of which the Itunes Music folder is 56.6GB - but when you open iTunes the library says it's only 46GB.

Any tips gratefully appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
I dont know if it works the same on the Mac but on my PC the Itunes music folder also contains any podcasts as well. I subscribe to a couple of video ones and was shocked to see that there was over 9gb of them hanging round, have a look and see there.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
Nah - I don't really do Podcasts.

Besides, it wouldn't account for the difference in the size of the iTunes library folder as shown in Finder and within iTunes itself - as the podcast files would be included in the library

Thanks anway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Yup, there can be 1.5GB's or more worth of international language files that will be installed on your machine, depending on what/how many applications you have installed.

There are a bunch of programs that will search your hard drive, gather the files and give you the option to delete them, I have Macaroni installed which let me do this, or here's a more manual way to do it.

Reaction score
While I do agree that you can carve out some free space by deleting localization files, it really sounds like you need a bigger drive. You are going to continue adding to iTunes and iPhoto, you need ~5 gigs free for your Mac and your programs to run happily.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sherman - you're right - I do need a bigger HD. This is really just a temporary measure until I can get that sorted.

MacBurg - thanks for the hint on Macaroni. Got 4GB back from doing that. Had to re-install Opera afterwards 'cos it screwed it up but that only took 2 mins

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.