Size needed for Boot Camp Partition

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am thinking of setting up Boot Camp as Spore won't run on my MB so I was just wondering how much space is needed by Boot Camp?

Is there a minimum it needs?

Thanks

Dan

Reaction score
I'm kinda interested too what you guys think. I just need to install windows Xp on my MBA just to use a few programs that are MS only, I think 6gb would be enough wouldnt it? Anyone have any input it would be appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.4GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB 7200 RPM, OS 10.5
I did 40gb (out of 200) for my MBP XP partition, but that's because I have a TON of windows games on it. Even still, I've got left over space. Spore recommends at least 5GB of space, add to that 2GB minimum for XP and you're at 7GB. I'd go no less than 10GB for the partition to allow for Virtual Memory as well as future installations, but if I were you I'd do 20GB to be safe.

Storage space is cheap. If you run out of space for your Mac, just get an external drive. Running out of space on your Windows partition will be much more of a pain!

Reaction score
I have a MBA so its not really expandable, except I did just bid on a 1TB network drive on ebay. Otherwise I only have like 40gb free on my mac HD, I dont wanna cut that down to 30 already after owning it for a week. Unless I can get a TB network HD on a budget... I'm now a broke college student.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.4GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB 7200 RPM, OS 10.5
Hmmm. Well, you will be tight on space on both ends with such small HD, but you might try 7GB for the XP partition and see how that works for you. The good thing is if it doesn't work, you could blow it away with Bootcamp and try again. Doesn't sound like you'll have anything too important on the XP side anyway.

Have you checked the graphics requirements to make sure they are met, too?

Reaction score
Do not install XP on less than 10 gigs. Here's why. Windows constantly requires updates, and some of them are large. Once you put service pack 3 in you are going have around six gigs right there. As a matter of fact, you could very well (depending on what you install) need 7.5 gigs or so to install SP3 because the installation routine has to archive and that takes tons of space.

Windows drives must be defraged from time to time also, and to do this correctly you need a certain amount of unused space on that drive. You will end up installing odd programs here and there that you cannont forsee at this time too.

If you want multiple comprehensive restore points, plan on that taking a few gigs too.

I already learned these lessons the hard way, by having to restore the whole drive (wiping out windows) and doing it all over again. This time I selected 15 gigs, and should be fine for a long time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.