iMac G5!

A

Apathy

If anyone is thinking about upgrading their existing Apple to the new iMac, I completely recommend they go ahead and do it.

I traded in my Rev.A 12" PowerBook (867MHz G4, 3xx ram, combo drive) for a 1.6GHz G5 17" iMac with 768Mb and combo drive. Got it for £350 plus my PowerBook through eBay, which isn't too bad a deal since my PowerBook was 14 months old and I doubt I could have gotten more than £500 for it if selling. Been using the iMac for a week now.

The 17" widescreen is awesome - crisp and bright, the "limited" degree of rotation is not an issue at all. The internal speakers are not too bad but I will be using my Yahama ones when I get back to university. The FX5200 graphics card isn't bad at all and UT2004 plays perfectly well - I just hope WoW is as good but I somehow doubt it! The difference between the G5 and G4 is just shocking - launching programs is much faster, everything is very responsive and things like webpages with lots of little animated gifs don't bog me down. It all takes up very little space and looks good! Watching DVDs in proper widescreen is great too.

Downsides would be the lack of portability, but that's what happens when you go from a tiny laptop to a desktop. Also, my Airport Extreme card had problems accessing my network when I had the iMac downstairs (the router is upstairs) - the PowerBook never had this problem, so I can only put it down to the case design or the antenna not being inserted properly (I am too lazy to check, even though opening the iMac is so amazingly easy). Airport works perfectly well when closer to my router, though.

About me - student, use my computer mostly for word processing, presentations, researching with 500000000000 browser windows and tabs, chatting to friends, playing a few games, watching DVDs, listening to MP3s and burning CDs. The PowerBook was my first "big" Apple and I felt a bit burned by the upgraded versions that came out a week after I bought my Rev.A one. I collect older Macs and have a 3400c, Quadra 800, Quadra 650, IIci and a Plus. This iMac has definitely moved my entire Apple experience into the present day!

If your computer usage is similar to mine then don't continue to hesitate over getting a G5 iMac - you'll just end up wishing you'd gotten one sooner.

OP
D

Danster

i have the 1.8 17" and couldn't be more happier with it but as i am a gamer i just wish it had the option to upgrade the grapics + vid RAM as it is alright now i dont think it will be next year or if half life 2 came out for it and i want this comp to last me a few years

OP
S

Stelex

I bought iMac G5 20" just last week and enjoying it big time. There are some things that I used differently before but I guess it'll take a few days to become normal. I just switched from Windows, it's my first Mac experience.

I also wrote a few words at http://stelex.blogspot.com for those interested. And there's more to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I love mine also! :) Although the airport works way better on my iMac then it did on my powerbook.

OP
F

ForeverG5

Congratulations on your new iMac G5! :) That is definitely a great deal considering your PB was 14 months old. Have fun with it and if you have any questions or anything, feel free to ask.

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
ForeverG5 said:
Congratulations on your new iMac G5! :) That is definitely a great deal considering your PB was 14 months old. Have fun with it and if you have any questions or anything, feel free to ask.
You do realize this thread is almost a year old right ?

OP
F

ForeverG5

Oh, I didn't even notice. Hehe, I saw December 20 and figured it was new. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram
Only a year old and now it be dead. That be 7 dog years

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
does anyone know when a new update or the imac is going to come out?

...now the thread is 2 years old. This thread just refuses to die.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
does anyone know when a new update or the imac is going to come out?

Yeah. I have it on impeccable authority that the iMac will be updated to use Intel Core Duo processors on January 10, 2006! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.