Windows XP OEM

Reaction score
I've been looking for a legit way to get Windows XP on my mac in anticipation for Left 4 Dead. I have a Dell PC from a while back and after digging through some boxes, I found the Windows XP install disc, still in shrink wrap. It says 2002 version on it. It says only for new Dell PCs. My question is can I activate the code for this version of windows on my iMac without screwing up anything on my PC? Or do I have to foot the bill and get a new version?

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. Can i hook up to a wireless hub with just my iMac in Windows XP?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The version you have is for the Dell you purchased and therefore is licensed only to that PC. The Microsoft EULA states that it must remain with the PC it was licensed to and may not be transferred. So yes, you should purchase another copy.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If the copy is still being used on that Dell PC, then no, you can't use it. This is assuming it's only a Windows XP disc and not a recovery disc by Dell, in which case it's a moot point as you wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

I would suggest picking up an OEM for System Builders copy from someplace like Newegg. You'll save a ton of money over buying a full retail copy. I personally don't think the fancy packaging is worth a couple hundred bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I tried using my Dell's Microsoft Windows XP CDs on my old HP before. You know what the outcome was? Every time I turned on the HP, I saw the Dell logo, as if the BIOS was Dell, and not HP. Lmao!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 20" 2 GHZ 4MB, Macbook, Iphone, Ipod Touch
Are you able to install the OEM System Builders copy of XP under the Windows partition created by Bootcamp? I read in Newegg that there are things you need to do after installing the OEM version of XP.

Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 20" 2 GHZ 4MB, Macbook, Iphone, Ipod Touch
Here is the caveat from Newegg on the OEM version.

"This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows"

What is that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's essentially saying that you have to provide your own tech support.

Yes, you can use the OEM for System Builders disc with Boot Camp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.