• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie Assistance

Reaction score
I've read many people's cry for help with the iMovie and have also read the answers. My question is the same one for all of them but I still can't figure it out.

I have a Sony DSC-H50 and when export the movies onto the mac, they're set as mpegs. I've tried ffmpegx, videoclip converter, mpeg converter and another one I forgot the name of it.

It's SUPER frustrating. ffmpegx allowed me to convert my file into a DV, which I heard functions with iMovie, but for some strange reason...it won't. I've tried the mpeg converter which could set the video into a MP4 format, but still it didn't work. Lastly, I tried making the video files into .mov but they ALSO didn't work.

Even when the files were converted, iMovie would not accept them. Please help me figure out this problem. What other converters are there or what tips do you have that I can fix this problem.

I also know this question has been answered before but for some reason it just doesn't work. Thank you in advance.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I exported my video into a DV and iMovie still doesn't accept the video. Am I supposed to convert it to another mpeg or a TS type? I tried to convert it to a TS type but it said "please choose another file."

I don't only want to convert the video, I want iMovie to accept it so I may edit the video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP
When you open the file in mpeg streamclip and try to play it, do you have sound?

You should have sound. Then I normally convert it to an mpeg4 file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a thought after rereading your post. Just copy the file from your Sony to a folder on your mac. Find the file you want to open in finder then right click on it and choose 'open with.' Choose mpeg streamclip and see if that works better than exporting it.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Alright. So I go to File and the options I have are: Export to Quicktime, to DV, to AVI, to MPEG-4, Audio, to other formats, frame. Towards the bottom are the options: Convert to MPEG, MPEG with MP2 Audio, to Headed MPEG, to TS. And even below that, is Demux. I want to make sure what I see is correct with what you see.

Yes, when I open it with MPEG Streamclip I do have audio. I also exported it to MPEG-4, I don't have the option to convert it, unless it means the same thing?? After it finished exporting or converting, it automatically saves it as .mp4 (i'm guessing thats mpeg4?). I right click the file, but it has iMovie in gray, meaning it won't be opened by iMovie.

By the way thank you for trying to help me. First time buying a mac...I might just need to go into the store and get it fixed if I can't figure it out:\ But if you think you can help me, please! haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your problem is not in the conversion or the exporting. From what you've told me your file has been properly converted. Now you need to open iMovie, go to the Event Library in the bottom left corner and right click (if your mouse is set up so that the right side is the secondary button) and choose Import Movies. Find the file you converted and click on it to bring it into the library.

Then, choose File > New Project and name your project. Then you can begin working on the raw footage you have created.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Oh, alright yeah I see. I was trying to open it WITH iMovie from my desktop. You need to go to iMovie first then select "import movies."

Great. Thanks a lot man I appreciate it a lot. Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.