G5 Superdrive Stuck.

Reaction score
Ok so my Powermac G5 came today & everythings perfect except for the fact that the Superdrive wont eject. I'm trying to take the drive out of the tower & reposition it so that the drive clears the top of the tower edge freely but the Superdrive wont budge from it's position in the tower. :(

I followed this pdf exactly but am having no luck getting the drive out.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/PMG...lDrive_DIY.pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Without knowing the brand of the optical drive, if you get it open try this.

Many models have a clip-on front lip which just fails to clear the tower housing. It will slide up and off and then the tray will move freely in and out.

OP
M
Reaction score
See this ... http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124171 ... for further links. Perhaps you could PM the OP of that thread for assistance.

No you see the door on my G5 is not the problem i cant get the whole Superdrive itself out of the tower. I unplugged the ribbon cable from the logic board, unlatched the swinging plastics things on the side of the drive & attempted to push the drive out to no avail even with alot of force. I can find an answer anywhere and i'm trying to avoid shipping it back as this has to be a something minor im not doing or something b/c the drive isnt budging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
No you see the door on my G5 is not the problem i cant get the whole Superdrive itself out of the tower.

I understand the issue you've outlined. The link to Apple DIY (about half way down the page) provides the .pdf with instructions about removing the optical drive. If you're meeting such strong resistance to getting the unit out, all I can imagine is 1) a screw or clip that hasn't been removed or loosened, or 2) someone before you has forced the unit back in, causing it to jam.

OP
M
Reaction score
See this ... http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124171 ... for further links. Perhaps you could PM the OP of that thread for assistance.

There is an IDE cable and also a power cable - it is necessary to undo both of them as boy that power cable sure is tight?

Here is a how to from Apple:-

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/g5/073-0807.pdf

Yeah i already got that pdf but it's no good 2 me b/c i still cant get the power supply cord to the drive off. The space to take it off is so narrow & it's fastened so tight. How do you suggest i get it off??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Yeah i already got that pdf but it's no good 2 me b/c i still cant get the power supply cord to the drive off. The space to take it off is so narrow & it's fastened so tight. How do you suggest i get it off??

Okay, the picture - so to speak - is clearer now, I think. Do you have the drive in the partially removed position as shown in the .pdf (Fig 7)? If yes, then the problem as I understand it is to get the power plug out from the narrow gap at the rear of the drive.

Here's how I'd try it - but I don't guarantee it to work. Find a small block of hard plastic, wood maybe, slightly wider than the narrow gap at the rear of the drive. You'll probably need to tape it into position close to the power plug. Alternatively, tape the block to the pliers I'm suggesting you use. You're going to use that block as a fulcrum.

Next - get/acquire a pair of long-nose needle-point pliers, something in the region of 6" - 8" (15-20 cm) in length. Working from the side, get a good grip with the pliers on the rear end of the power plug and, with gentle flexing of the pliers, try to lever the plug off.

If you're successful - and here's hoping - when you replace the drive and push the power plug back on, grease the pins first with some Vaseline. Insurance for next time.

Good luck!

OP
M
Reaction score
^^^Naw i'm not even that far. I'm still stuck on Figure 6. The drive wont come out & I have the latches open. What could the problem be??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Similar solution using the narrow needle nose pliers I PM you musikfiend. If still no joy perhaps a visit to the local Apple dealer or genius bar and get their opinion. Sounds like something has really been jammed or forced in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still stuck on Figure 6. The drive wont come out & I have the latches open. What could the problem be??

It's been jammed in there at a slight angle I'd say. I know what I would do, but it's not my computer. Try this at your own risk, if Harry's suggestion via PM hasn't worked. These are pretty drastic measures.

Never mind putting your hand in there under the side of the optical drive, as per .pdf instructions. Make a metal L-shaped hook, about the same width as your hand. Then, pulling on that hook firmly, but not excessively, with one hand, insert a hard plastic wedge (like a cooking spatula) in various places around the perimeter of the drive and wiggle while you're pulling with the hook.

Next idea - turn the computer on its side, open area downward, with L-hook attached to optical drive and tied to some immovable anchor point, and pull the whole G5 body away.

Left field idea - if you can somehow wiggle two or three pieces of strong cord, or a wide leather or fabric strap, under and around that stubborn drive and have someone else hold the cords/strap, pull the whole G5 in the opposite direction.

Failing any or all of the above, I think it looks like a total dismantle job, much or all of which you could probably do yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could have well been in stalled incorrectly, not lining up the runners and using considerable force. Take it back and report the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.