New Mac user for home recording...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1 Gig Processor, 2 MB Ram, 160 HD, 120 Ext HD
Hi all, just enrolled here, looks like a great site for knowledge about macs

I have just purchased a Mac book 4.1, and ext HD for home recording. I'm on the verge of buying a Presonus Firebox to go with it.

When I begin production, am I correct in running the software from the internal HD, but writing to the ext HD?

Is there something I must do to ensure this happens?

Is there a better solution that would allow me to get the most from the macbooks processor?

Thanks in advance!!

HTAM

OP
HigherThanAMile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm....perhaps I should make it known that I am no stranger to engineering in the studio or at home. Up until a few months ago, I have been working with Sonar 5 to track, and SoundForge to master.

Now that I have this MacBook with the abilities it's capable of, I'm just looking to source some information from anyone with a deeper backround with Macs and how they function in this scenario.

Anyone?

ANYONE?

Grazi.

HTAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Airport Express
Let me see if I can give you some guidance. I have a MacBook Pro and work in the pro audio industry.

Are you just doing stuff for yourself at home? Or are you looking to be more serious? The software/hardware you use has a lot to do with what you are trying to do. The software and hardware you have listed is good if you're doing your own thing, but if you want to be more serious, you'll need to make some upgrades, and it requires a decent amount of spending.

As far as the internal/external HD situation goes. Install the software on your internal HD. You can record directly to an external HD, but I wouldn't recommend it unless it is a FireWire 400/800. Recording directly to a USB HD isn't the greatest, but again, it depends on what scale you are working at. Small scale it's fine, large scale it is not.

Simply go to the preferences and there should be something about where to save to. Where that is depends on the software. I usually record onto my internal, and then transfer to my external when I'm done.

Hope this all helps. If you need some tips on what to get if you want to upgrade software/hardware let me know.

OP
HigherThanAMile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am tracking for a number of different reasons, for myself, to create backround tracks for open stages I play, and possibly for submission to TAXI.

I have a Presonus Firebox to work with for an interface as well.

The EXT HD is USB. Only have one FW input to work with.

Do you recommend increasing RAM to 4

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

HTAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Airport Express
Extra ram never hurts, but it's not really necessary unless you'll be running a lot of plug-ins and tracks simultaneously (basically a lot of processing power). I have 2GB of ram and it runs fine. Since your external HD is USB, I would record directly onto your internal HD, then do a File, Save As, and save the session (and all files) onto your external HD. Then transfer it back when you want to work on it. USB only allows for a single data stream, making it a pain to work with audio.

Reaction score
Hi,

Also from the industry and working with both a powerbook G4 and a new 8-core macpro: you can use USB 2.0 with the same confidence as you would firewire 400. So hook up the firebox to the 400 port and write to the USB disk. No problem. I have tracked more than 20 tracks simultanious from Protools HD (24 bit 96 Khz) to a USB 2.0 disc. No problems.

OP
HigherThanAMile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fenderbender and Pronkie....
Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
My wife, our daughter 'Little Wing' and I have just moved from Denver to Fort Collins, so I have had little time to think about, let alone dive into anything recently.

The Presonus Firebox came with Cubase LE, and maybe I'm just overlooking the obvious, but I don't find it very friendly compared to Sonar or even Garageband 8.

I see that Steinberg offers little or no support regarding LE, so my question is, would any time and effort on my part be worth spending on it, if I find I can achieve the results I seek with GB 8? Y'know, what advantages or benefits would there be in either of your opinions?

Again, Grazi.....

HTAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
I've been a GB user for a while now, and I found it to be a well rounded program. There are certainly some limitations, but I found it to be very user friendly and easy to use. Haven't personally used Cubase, but have heard a few good things about it. Personally, I'd save the hard-drive space for my music projects and stick with GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB
I'm thinking about getting the Presonus Firebox, how do you like it so far? It was either that or the Motu 8pre.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.