Problem with Matshita DVD Burner

Reaction score
I'm trying to back-up some DVDs using Mac The Ripper and Popcorn. The process goes great until i insert a blank DVD when prompted by Popcorn. I just get nothing whatsoever. I've tried -RW & +RW discs and still nothing just the sound of the drive going back and forth. I've burnt CDs fine but cannot get this to start. ANY ideas. Thank you
Raff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
is that an external dvd drive

and what version of popcorn are you using

OP
R
Reaction score
Internal drive

Hi louishen

Its an internal DVD drive on imac G5. i'm using Popcorn 2.0

??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Were you able to burn DVDs with that burner before? If so, can you burn DVDs using another program? Sometimes a defective drive will still be able to burn a CD but not a DVD. Power requirements for the optical circuitry is greater for a DVD burn than a CD burn. IOW, the light has enough power to do a CD but not a DVD.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for that. i have a feeling this might be the problem. is there anyway to find out? sorry but i'm pretty wet behind the ears with all this.

Regards

OP
R
Reaction score
New Burner Then?

I've just tried playing a DVD in the player and it won't do anything........any suggestions for my next move? would it be best to buy an external one or have this fixed?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Hi Raff - you must be the umpteenth person to have problems with a Matshita optical drive, there are numerous posts complaining about them. Your next move? Pioneer. Affordable, reliable, and they work well with MacOS.

If your computer is the PPC G5 iMac, then a Pioneer K06 will fit inside, but I'd recommend an external firewire drive, maybe the 116D or 216D, depending on connection type. There are several models to choose from. OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/ might be a good place to start.

This is a UK site, but very comprehensive, giving you a better idea: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/45/75/442/overview.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.