• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Convert MP4 to WMV? Please help! (from Kate)

Reaction score
I am in dire need of a mp4 to wmv converter!!! Also, it has to be free because im broke. i just made the big switch to a mac (and threw my pc out the window just to be rid of it one and for all... dont worry i picked up the pieces afterwards, but seeing it smash was too fufilling to not go through with the toss: ) , however, i cant figure out how to convert mp4 to WMV!!!!!!

i found a site that can download flv videos, and i found a free program to make flv into mp4... but unfortunately, mp4 wont play on my XBOX360 (which is where i need to get the video to work) but aparently WMV *will* play there .

can ANYONE please help me??

thank you so much in advance

~~Kate~~

PS : lol, or if you know of a free program that does flv to wmv, that would obviously cut out a big step and i'd be grateful for that, however, for the moment, a mp4 to wmv converter is whats key

OP
K
Reaction score
I am in dire need of a mp4 to wmv converter!!! Also, it has to be free because im broke. i just made the big switch to a mac (and threw my pc out the window just to be rid of it one and for all... dont worry i picked up the pieces afterwards, but seeing it smash was too fufilling to not go through with the toss: ) , however, i cant figure out how to convert mp4 to WMV!!!!!!

i found a site that can download flv videos, and i found a free program to make flv into mp4... but unfortunately, mp4 wont play on my XBOX360 (which is where i need to get the video to work) but aparently WMV *will* play there .

can ANYONE please help me??

thank you so much in advance

~~Kate~~

PS : lol, or if you know of a free program that does flv to wmv, that would obviously cut out a big step and i'd be grateful for that, however, for the moment, a mp4 to wmv converter is whats key

OP
K
Reaction score
oh no! i dont even have a way of buying stuff online right now. no credit or debit card: ( is there no other option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
My xbox 360 does play MP4s. How are you connected? Is it just a USB stick or are you using Connect 360?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
i bought visual hub and its the easiest and best piece of software that I have used for this sort of stuff.

Cannot recommend highly enough.

Reaction score
OK, it looks like iSquint (The free watered down version of Visualhub) can convert many formats (Including flv) to a version of MP4 that the xbox360 can actually read.

http://www.isquint.org/

You will need to click 'Optimize for TV' and 'H.264 Encoding' (I think, if not try it without the H.264 Encoding) when you drag the file over for converting.

People on other forums reckons this works, if it doesn't you've lost nothing and gained a free iPod converter!

OP
K
Reaction score
OK, it looks like iSquint (The free watered down version of Visualhub) can convert many formats (Including flv) to a version of MP4 that the xbox360 can actually read.

http://www.isquint.org/

You will need to click 'Optimize for TV' and 'H.264 Encoding' (I think, if not try it without the H.264 Encoding) when you drag the file over for converting.

People on other forums reckons this works, if it doesn't you've lost nothing and gained a free iPod converter!

hm!!!!!!!!! I downloaded isquint, thats how i got the mp4 from the flv. however, the mp4 file wouldnt get read by my xbox360. it said i needed updates, adn i checked on an xbox forum and they said flat out my xbox wouldnt play mp4s . can you explain in detail how i can get an flv to turn into an mp4 my xbox360 can read using isquint? if so, that would be *amazing* (as in, i would truely and honestly be amazed. i hate my 360 if it didnt also play games. really, its a crap piece of hardware , but its what i have sadly)

Reaction score
Is you xbox 360 fully up to date with updates?

When you converted the file did you tick the 'optimize for tv' and 'H.264' encoding boxes on the iSquint screen? If not try that.

OP
K
Reaction score
My xbox 360 does play MP4s. How are you connected? Is it just a USB stick or are you using Connect 360?

i took an flv file offline, used "i squint" to turn it to an mp4, burned a cd with the mp4 file on it, AND the flv file , put it in my 360. then when i went to the media blade, and selected the cd or whatever, it only listed the mp4 file, and when i clicked it (pressed "a" when it was highlighted) it took me to a black screen with a white thing on the right hand side saying it needs an update to play the file, however, i am deeply suspicious such an update exists

OP
K
Reaction score
Is you xbox 360 fully up to date with updates?

When you converted the file did you tick the 'optimize for tv' and 'H.264' encoding boxes on the iSquint screen? If not try that.

hm ok no i didnt click those things on isquint

i really dont know much about fully updating my xbox. i rarely connect it online since it lives at my dads house. i have to bring it to my moms to hook it up. i last hooked it up at like the end of august, and there was a "system update"

thats what makes me suspicious that evne though when i tried to put in the mp4 file and it said it needed an update, i am suspicious such an update exists. how would the xbox know that there is an update for it? and seems weird that that update would be there since just a month ago. also, is there some special way id get the update or would it do it on its own if i plug it in to the internets?

Reaction score
It should update on it's own (Apparently the latest update was August 08) so connect to internet and let it do it's thing.

It will play MP4s but they need to be encoded specifically and so I think it needs the H.264 conversion to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You should maybe try out Connect 360 if your Xbox is on your network, makes life much easier! You can trial it too.

Where did you get an flv file? Almost everything I download is MP4 and AVI.

Dunno what to suggest really. Sometimes my Xbox just seems to not like certain files, and it says that update thing ALL THE TIME.

Here's something I found about it, but it's all gibberish to me!

OP
K
Reaction score
You should maybe try out Connect 360 if your Xbox is on your network, makes life much easier! You can trial it too.

Where did you get an flv file? Almost everything I download is MP4 and AVI.

Dunno what to suggest really. Sometimes my Xbox just seems to not like certain files, and it says that update thing ALL THE TIME.

Here's something I found about it, but it's all gibberish to me!

i got the flv file off a video website that had a download option. i LOVE the video and alot of other videos off the site, so to be able to put them in a form my xbox will understand would be great

OP
K
Reaction score
It should update on it's own (Apparently the latest update was August 08) so connect to internet and let it do it's thing.

It will play MP4s but they need to be encoded specifically and so I think it needs the H.264 conversion to do so.

hm ok, so if i do the "h 34 " thingy, it should work? how do i do that?

Reaction score
When you open iSquint click on the button 'H.264 Encoding'.

There are only 4 buttons on there 'Optimize for iPod', 'Optimize for TV, 'Add to iTunes' and 'H.264 Encoding'.

Tick the 'TV' and 'H.264' buttons then convert your file.

OP
K
Reaction score
When you open iSquint click on the button 'H.264 Encoding'.

There are only 4 buttons on there 'Optimize for iPod', 'Optimize for TV, 'Add to iTunes' and 'H.264 Encoding'.

Tick the 'TV' and 'H.264' buttons then convert your file.

ok well i will try that when i get home!: ) can anyone here with an xbox 360 and i squint or whatever tell me for certain that this will work and solve my problems?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.