Unable to boot from anything. iMac G5

Reaction score
Sequence of events:

a) Attempting to boot from HDD gave me the usual startup sound, followed by the usual Starting Mac OS X graphic, then the mouse cursor moved to the top left of the screen, the screen went black, and the following message appeared:
Darwin/BSD (Local Host) (Console)
Login

b) attempted login, failed.

c) attempted to boot in safe mode, same result

d) booted from Install disc. Selected Archive and Install. Ran smoothly for an hour or so, then "Please insert the "Mac OS X Install Disc 2" disc to continue installation.

e) Inserted said disc (from original software), and it was ejected. Tried again, same thing.

f) somebody suggested I try reinstalling a customised version leaving out all the language, fonts etc that take up so much space. Sorry! No work! The HDD has had Disc 1 installed and it will not do a single thing until Disc 2 is installed. But it won't accept it!

These are original discs purchased with the computer so never previously used. iMac G5, 160Gb, first model with the webcam.

The screen had developed dead pixel lines, so the downfall of the all in one has come to pass. All I want now is to be able to access the HDD to recover the data, then the whole thing is for the waste bin.

Can anybody tell me how I get it to boot from the HDD again?

I have absolutely nothing to click a mouse on except Windows Installer, and everything is greyed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you can boot from disc 1, hold down 'C' on reboot, go to utilities>Disk Utility and run Repair Disk and see what comes up. Data recovery is not a cheap process.

OP
F
Reaction score
No, can't boot from anything. Whatever I try now it just goes straight to the Insert Disc 2 instruction with no option to do anything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.