How to uninstall Spore AND DRM/SecuRom.

Reaction score
Hello, First post!
Could anybody help me please?
I have downloaded the demo of the Spore Creature Creator and Spore Origins for the iPod Touch.
Do either of these contain the DRM/SecuRom things that install to the kernel? Or any other 'hidden' programmes?
If so, how do I remove them? I don't care if I delete the applications, too - I'm not interested in pirating the game, I just want to make sure my computer is 'clean' of the kind of file that lurks somewhere and interferes with my computer's normal operation.
Is my only option to back-up and then re-format my hard drive?
I run a black Macbook with the latest version of OS X (is that 10.5?)
Thank you for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Fiddlesticks is right! I bought Spore unknowing of the impending spyware. Does anyone know how to uninstall SecuROM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Fiddlesticks is right! I bought Spore unknowing of the impending spyware. Does anyone know how to uninstall SecuROM?

I don't know, but I wish I had known about it also. This game is one of the most boring games I've ever played. No depth to it at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Apparently this is from the Offical Spore forum (emphasis added):
I thought you all would like to know.......

I had to call Apple Care because of constant kernel panics on my notebook computer. They asked me when it started, which was shortly after uninstalling SPORE CC, and clued me into a problem. Apparently there are a number of computers (Mac's) having issues with the SecuROM. The end result is Apple replacing my harddrive, which means I'll be notebookless for about a week.

Potential buyers beware... The securom is not good for macs. The tech identified securom as the cause of my computers problems (it alters critical files that can't be rewritten when u install OSX updates). If I didn't have apple care, the cost to repair would be about 400$

This is exactly why I made a backup right before I installed Spore. Time to revert!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Pfft. I've been running Spore on my MacBook Pro for over a week now, with no stability issues. I also run Little Snitch and there has been no unusual traffic sent from any unknown processes.

This is all a part of the anti-DRM crowd's incessant bashing of this game, despite the fact that EA has relaxed some of its restrictions. No need to overreact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Pfft. I've been running Spore on my MacBook Pro for over a week now, with no stability issues. I also run Little Snitch and there has been no unusual traffic sent from any unknown processes.

This is all a part of the anti-DRM crowd's incessant bashing of this game, despite the fact that EA has relaxed some of its restrictions. No need to overreact.

I was wondering about what Little Snitch would see. I do agree that the anti-DRM crowd is overreacting a little bit, but I also don't agree with a game altering my kernel in any way (if that is in fact what it does, as there is no HARD evidence it does). Regardless, I have played though the game three times, and am pretty much done with it now, so I, personally, would like a clean uninstall of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I do the same. But I realised the update for Spore recently released will not upload properly with any kind of little snitch activity towards spore. Actually this update was a real bugger to install. First update ever to anything that just simply didn't work easily.

But I dunno if this is a work around to the DRM, but I had to reinstall Spore in the process of getting the update to work. Which it did. But I just copied the around 3 GB game file before the update. And when it crashed my game file I just copied the good duplicate I had made and after another long while it all worked fine. And my old game saves were still there after it all. Seems they are stored some place other than the game file itself. Where I have no idea. I don't think used up a game activation. But I think with the patch they've eased up on the DRM quite a bit. Which is good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I do the same. But I realised the update for Spore recently released will not upload properly with any kind of little snitch activity towards spore. Actually this update was a real bugger to install. First update ever to anything that just simply didn't work easily.

But I dunno if this is a work around to the DRM, but I had to reinstall Spore in the process of getting the update to work. Which it did. But I just copied the around 3 GB game file before the update. And when it crashed my game file I just copied the good duplicate I had made and after another long while it all worked fine. And my old game saves were still there after it all. Seems they are stored some place other than the game file itself. Where I have no idea. I don't think used up a game activation. But I think with the patch they've eased up on the DRM quite a bit. Which is good.

Yeah, I read this also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.