Bootcamp help needed - Cannot install drivers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
I just picked up a new MBP, and I was able to get Windows XP installed...the same as I did on my iMac.

However, when I insert the Leopard CD to install the drivers, I get the blue screen of death and the whole thing reboots, runs a scan disk, and then goes back to Windows. I can still switch back and forth between Windows and OSX, but while in Windows, I can't get on the internet or anything.

I started with a 32 GB FAT32 partition, but I also tried:
-removing the partition, reformatting in NTFS - same result
-changing the size of the partition using both NTFS and FAT32 - same result
-Using the MBP restore discs and the separate Leopard disc I have - same result

And then I tried downloading the Bootcamp 2.1 update, but I can't get the executable to run in the XP environment.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm leaving for a business trip early next week, and I'd like to bring my MBP, but without Windows, that's a no-go.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sean

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of Windows XP did you install? Only a full install XP SP2 MS boxed disk or a full install SP2 OEM system builders disk will work.

If you used any other kind of disk and were able to install XP, the symptoms you describe will occur. If you used the correct version of XP and are having those difficulties have you tried removing the Boot Camp partition and starting over?

Remove the BC partition by running the BC assistant again from OS X, then select create partition, select restore.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Or you can buy a retail version of Windows XP SP3, which will have all the updates by Microsoft up until August 2008. Also, do not use FAT32, NTFS is totally preferable. You can also download a program to your Macintosh so you can both read & write to NTFS volumes/partitions, like the Windows one. One of the free programs to do so is this - http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

Thanks to someone here on the forum who gave me the link to that program.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using an OEM copy of XP with SP2 included. It's is the same disc I used to install XP on my iMac, which works fine. As I mentioned, I've already tried removing the partition and starting over...several times. I also tried FAT32 and NTFS and I get the same error either way.

It looks as though the install bombs on the Broadcom wireless section. All the other drivers seemed to have gotten installed up to that point.

Any other suggestions on how to fix this?

Sean

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I think I got this thing fixed. If anyone else encounters this problem, here's how to get around it:

Make sure you have a clean install of Windows. If you tried installing the Bootcamp drivers and it blue-screened you, go back into OSX, remove the Windows partition, and recreate the Windows partition and reinstall Windows.

When you get to Windows, insert the Bootcamp disc, but DO NOT run the installer. Instead, open the CD and copy the files to a folder on the desktop.

Go into the file and remove the Broadcominstaller.exe. Then run the setup.exe from the root directory. This will install all the other drivers and complete the Bootcamp install without installing the Broadcom drivers, which may cause the system to error.

Once that's done, you can install the Broadcom drivers from here:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp39501-40000/sp39912.exe

Thanks to the folks on the Apple support forums for finding this.

Sean

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back with the fix. Hard to believe the Broadcom drivers were hanging your system although from past experience with drivers in Windows I know how much of a headache they can be.

Enjoy your new MBP!

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.