Getting SHOCKS.

Reaction score
I own a macbook pro and since swapping the hard drive and memory,i keep getting shocks from my mac.The shocks mainly from the outer edge where screws and metal edges are.Even in charging mode,it feels like static but more powerful.Horrible shocks and when its like more sensitive areas it shocks even worse.I took it back because it had FireWire problems has well.The mac company said they replaced the logic board(there was no receipt or evidence).Can anybody tell me when they replace the logic board they produce a receipt or anything.ALSO has anybody had the same problem with shocks.Funny thing is i have just got it back,it still has same problem and the logic board connections etc still look the same(not new).In fact the shocks seem more powerful.Any info or advice WELCOME at [email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I can not really help you. But you should have asked for a receipt, and you also should have tried it infront of their own eyes, so they wouldn't blame you for bad usage.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you are going to bring it back in...I would put back in the original HDD. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
That seems odd to me. At the very least its just good business practice to give a receipt or work order when servicing any product. Im sure they will get you one if you ask, personally surprised that they don't sent it automatically to be honest,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
why would any company replace a logic board and not offer a receipt? if someone is going to work on my mac, their going to give me a receipt on what they did and why.

sounds to me like they didn't do something right when putting it back together, or they used the wrong parts?

Reaction score
I have heard about this shock issue. The problem seems to go away if you replace the 2-pin blade connector on the AC adapter with the 3-wire cord, since the cord gives you an earth ground.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
danodee:

The "shock" problem has come up several times in this forum and also in others. Each time it was reported, the offender was a MacBook Pro. Unless the machine is properly grounded internally the metal case acts like a conductor.

If you had your machine repaired at an authorized Apple repair place, take it back and let them test the machine and repair it correctly. All work should be documented by them and you should be given a copy. If you're not satisfied with the work, contact Apple support.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I've heard of this shock problem. I would recommend googling it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I don't think googling it would benefit him so much. Just do what chscag advice you to do, take it to the Apple store, tell them what exactly happened, and they'll hopefully fix it for you. The price/cost of fixing it is probably going to be even more expensive than what it would have been if you haven't taken your MBP some where else and got some parts replaced.

You screw it, you fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 SR MBP
I always knew using a mac was a shocking experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.