Best feature of MacBook: inability to play DVD's!

Reaction score
I deleted DVD Player in favor of VLC, and now I can't play any DVD's. I try loading from disc, doesn't work. Try the .TS or whatever in VLC and it plays 2 seconds of the movie then VLC shuts down.

Now, I try to go back and download DVD Player from Mac and it tells me I have a newer version, yet Finder yields no instance of DVD Player anywhere on my Mac. AWESOME!

Thanks Mac, I'm loving this sweet feature.

Reaction score
That MAY be the issue, Try downloading/re-installing the DVD Player and then launch the VLC.

Also, the DVD Player may have DVD drivers that are required to play them..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Mac? You're the one who deleted DVD player and you're complaining?

Go here to download "Pacifist" and use it to extract DVD player from your Leopard DVD.

http://www.charlessoft.com/

You could have installed VLC without deleting DVD player. You can always choose which application you want to play DVDs.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I deleted DVD Player in favor of VLC, and now I can't play any DVD's. I try loading from disc, doesn't work. Try the .TS or whatever in VLC and it plays 2 seconds of the movie then VLC shuts down.

Now, I try to go back and download DVD Player from Mac and it tells me I have a newer version, yet Finder yields no instance of DVD Player anywhere on my Mac. AWESOME!

So you're upset at Apple that something doesn't work because you went and deleted things which you shouldn't have? Yeah.....makes sense to me!

OP
Changed
Reaction score
That MAY be the issue, Try downloading/re-installing the DVD Player and then launch the VLC.

Also, the DVD Player may have DVD drivers that are required to play them..

so I am forced to take up more HD space because Mac wants me to be stuck with their software?

What is the point of having VLC at all then?

OP
Changed
Reaction score
where can I get DVD Player to download? Or do I have to reinstall iLife fresh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
DVD player is not part of iLife
Download pacifist.
Run Pacifist
Find section that has DVD player.
Install DVD player.

So exactly just how much space were you trying to save?
Try downloading monolingual and delete extra languages, that'll save you a few gig.
Only delete extra languages that you don't use..don't delete the other stuff unless you know what you are doing (Archectitures, keyboard layouts etc)

OP
Changed
Reaction score
Just used pacifist and got it back. I figured DVD Player was some application that was bundled, thats why I deleted it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Just used pacifist and got it back. I figured DVD Player was some ******** application that was bundled, thats why I deleted it.

No you were wrong. :)

That tip MacFanBoy posted about deleting extra languages is a good idea. Also deleting unused printer drivers is good too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro

Oops! You shouldn't remove the Applications that came preinstalled with your Macintosh. If you want to use another program that is considered a replacement, just download it and install it; removing preinstalled Applications is not a good idea. No offense, but even a novice user would tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
so I am forced to take up more HD space because Mac wants me to be stuck with their software?

What is the point of having VLC at all then?

How much would a DVD player take up in the first place? Not very much. Anyway, you shouldn't delete software without batting an eyelids, especially important stuff such as a DVD player. Anyway VLC is good since it plays virtually every single type of video clip. Even you need VLC on a PC to do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.